Win 3.1 game on xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to install a Win 3.1 game called "Dare to Dream" on XP, but when I try to run the .exe file I get a message saying

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."

I would really appriciate any help anyone could give me, because I really want to play this game.

Thanks for your time.[RIGHT]Gisbon[/RIGHT]

Hi, this document at microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305521 has the solution, it would appear..

Basically, search for the files, Autoexec.nt, Command.com, and Config.nt. It would appear that one is most likely missing from your windows\system32 folder.

This fixed the problem I was having with Duke Nukem 2, so I am sure that you'll be golden after extracting them from the cd.

If you have a computer with a 'recovery partition' (ie HP or Compaq) let me know and I should be able to give you the steps to extract them from there, see the name? :D

still no good

Ok I did what it said on the microsoft page and it's taken care of that problem but now when I try and run the game it tells me "Cannot find VBRUN100.DLL".

Then it says "Cannot find C:\DOCUME~1\LUCASS~1\MYDOCU~1\games\DARE2D~1\D2D.EXE (or one of its components).
Check to ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available.".

I did a search of my computer but this DLL doesn't seem to be there, any further help would be greatly appreciated.[RIGHT]Gisbon[/RIGHT]

You can google for missing dlls and place them in your \windows\system folder. The most common ones are freely downloadable.

The other problem you have is most likely due to the long pathname and/or it containing long filenames. Try putting your game in a simple location like c:\d2d

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back