Win 7 boot problem

jarko

Hi,

Something happened and I'm not able to boot into the Windows. Probably Boot Configuration Data (BCD) store is missing, becomes corrupted, or isn't properly configured. when I start computer I'm getting blue screen with:

0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928,0xFFFFFFFFC0000034.0x0000000000000000.0x0000000000000000)
I use Startup Repair but nothing changed. Save mode is giving the same Blue screen. I looked on internet to find solution but nothing helped. I really don't want to reinstall my OS and you are my last chance to keep my data without loosing anything.
This hypothetical HD is as follows:

100 MB MBR partition
600 GB Windows 7 system

Let's imagine there is an empty 100 MB partition and the MBR is corrupt beyond repair or completely not there.

P.S.
OS: Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sadly, I think you're going to have to do a clean install with that type of error. Since you can't boot from it, none of those fixes from the link above may be of no use to you. You may be able to use a boot cd to try to get it to boot. Here's a link to the top 5.
https://techtalk.gfi.com/top-5-free-rescue-discs-for-your-sys-admin-toolkit/

If you get it to boot, then I would check the HDD using he CMD tool with these commands from this link. As there to many to list.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637756.aspx

You can also download a Linux distro (your choice/flavor), create a bootable USB and then boot from that on said failed PC. Then you can move all of your personal data to some external media (portable USB HDD). Once done, power down and then prepare for a clean install.

Hi @plankton23 Before you criticize my link, I suggest you try reading it first. There are a lot of things to try in that link including a bookable rescue CD. Your post is great, but way did you have to criticize mine.Linux is a different OS and it is a good tool to recover data, but not that easy to understand and use it for that purpose.
If you have data that you can't afford to lose, you might consider a docking station or docking cable to recover the data.
PS The person that wrote the article in my link is a MVP. Let's work as a team here on TS.;)
PS Here's the first link in the one I posted.:D https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17074/windows-7-resolving-stop-blue-screen-errors

Last edited:
The link I posted from the MS community covers every thing there is about recovering W7. It seems to me that you did not read my link or you would have seen that it covers; recovering not being able to boot into windows, and recovering being able to boot into windows. It has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing. There are only a handful of us that answer Questions here on TS. We work together as a team. No need for you to get upset. I'm not on the staff here, but my advise would be this. If you have some thing you think will help the OP, please post your suggestion. No need to criticize other members posts, that are trying to help, and say their advise won't work.;)It's plain to me you never read my link before posting your reply. Let's work together here on techspot.
Your PM was not appreciated.;)

Last edited:
@jarko , I see you are a member since 2005. Nice to hear from you.

My experience with this frustrating error has always ended up with buying a new HDD while putting the old one out to pasture (the last time, I now use as massive thumb drive thanks to NewEgg HDD enclosure). So, if it were mine to do, I would focus on backing up my data first. One of the several 'rescue' disks can do this as long as the system can still find the HDD as a working device. Last time, I just installed a fresh Windows install on a new HDD and used that to explore the old HDD which I relegated to a 'slave' non-boot in settings/BIOS.

With solid backup or clean install and transfer of data in hand, I would then try to assess the HDD condition (chkdsk /f is a good start). Since HDDs are so cheap, why go complex?

Hi!Good advise by @Cycloid Torus !. After you do all that he suggested, you can save yourself a lot of grief the next time some thing like this happens. Learn how to use a 3rd party image program to create back up images of your OS. I use Macrium Reflect.
I could replace my HDD and and be back up and running just like I was the day I created the image In less then a hour on a brand new HDD.
Then you can use a enclosure like @Cycloid Torus suggests to retrieve your data from the old HDD and run a chkdsk /f on it.
I would never trust it for storing important data on, but that's just me. I guess if it passed chkdsk /f, it would be OK to use as a storage drive. Basically this is the same advise given by @Cycloid Torus, but I didn't put a fresh copy of windows on the new drive. I used a image I created with Macrium Reflect.
Let us know how things go. If I have posted any thing that's not true or you have a question, please let me know. Team work is good!

Last edited:
When I used rescue disk I went to repair I press repair your computer it got in system recovery options and it tried to repair automatically and after few it gave message that cannot repair a problem. I went to startup repair options and I tried again to fix startup but nothing changed.
When I made in the command prompt chkdsk /f /r and later sfc scannow everything was looking good, but still I cannot boot.
I' don't know this stuff well and maybe my question is completely without sens but there is any chance to rebuild this small system reserve partition? This partition looks empty and is not active.

I share your 'ouch'. I had same experience and after fiddling around, I gave up. So I bought a 500GB HDD from NewEgg for $50. You might want an SSD instead.

First, preserve your data - photos, email, documents, music, etc. Do this FIRST.

I found it easiest to put in a new HDD and put the system on that. Booted from that after adjusting boot order in BIOS and made it right for my use. There were a few updates, so I did all them before making a restore point.

Once I had this working, I signed into an admin account and took a look at the old HDD. I ran chkdsk /f on the old drive (it was a bit flaky, so needed some fixing) and then took ownership of the several user accounts so I could copy my files. This would be a good time to make a backup, so I made one.

Based on the failure to boot, I would never trust the old HDD for anything more than casual stuff - like game save files or a quick sneaker net of big files.

Your mileage may vary...

Some other advices.please.I really want to save my Windows.Long time I was setting everything like I need it and like it and I don't want to start everything from beginning.

Hi,

I cannot run Save Mode the same BS message.
This is what I did when I've got to command prompt with Windows installation CD
Run these commands:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
Bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd
exit

When I did Bootrec /scanos I've got this:
Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successufully.
When I continued after bootrec /rebuildbcd the same message:
After restart BS 0x0000007B

I don't think so because when I used Hiren's cd, and I choose Mini Windows 7 Portable option I got without any problems to the Windows.
I think that something is wrong with boot configuration. This is why I asked if is any chance to make new boot configuration?

Hi That looks good to me, but other members may comment later. This is all I have to go on (STOP 0x0000007B errors are caused by device driver issues (especially those related to hard drive and other storage controllers), viruses, data corruption, and sometimes even hardware failures.) A wild shot would be to boot with a Anti-Virus CD and run it.
https://www.lifewire.com/free-bootable-antivirus-tools-2625785
You might run a sfc /scannow from CMD. I'm running out of things to try.

HI
No virus.
Before when I chech this in DISKPART my small 100 MB MBR partition was Not Active and has letter E. I changed this and made it Active without a letter and my 600 GB Windows 7 system partition which had a letter E I changed to letter C. But when I restarted computer everything change back. Small partition was Not Active again and has letter C and windows partion has letter E.
I'm not sure if this is important.
P.S.
Is there any chance to install Windows on another HD (the same like this one) and later to copy some files to old one to fix Boot sentence?

Hi,

I cannot run Save Mode the same BS message.
This is what I did when I've got to command prompt with Windows installation CD
Run these commands:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
Bootrec /scanos
bootrec /rebuildbcd
exit

When I did Bootrec /scanos I've got this:
When I continued after bootrec /rebuildbcd the same message:
After restart BS 0x0000007B
So, you've reverified that the MBR / UEFI structures are good. This leaves the partition itself as being corrupted.

Did you review this from MS?

See also this

Hi,

Is there any chance to install Windows on another HD (the same like this one) and later to copy some files to old one to fix Boot sentence?

Hi,

Hi I don't understand "Boot Sentence" that you keep posting. Here's link to fix MBR.
Why do you think the MBR is causing you this problem? You already verified that MBR / UEFI was good.
Install Windows on another HDD. Use a docking cable to recover any files on the old HDD. Then reinstall Windows on the old HHD, or Reformat it use it for storage. Sorry if I'm not understanding what you're trying to do. Here's a excellent link from HTG.
Let us know how things go.
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

Last edited:
Back