Win 7 Pro 64-bit and SQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

Win 7 Pro 64-bit and SQL
SQL server will not install on W 7 Pro 64-bit - has anyone any experience of setting this up?
Initial error message is that
"an installation package for the product Microsoft SQL server native client cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlncli_x64.msi'' I ran that without apparent errors and then tried again - the next error message was from .net framework saying that 'this computer does not meet the requirements to install this software. It then goes on to say that the product is not supported on Vista OS.
Anyone the faintest idea what is going on here?

If the message means what it ostensibly means, it is saying you cannot install the client before the server.....maybe. How big is the .msi file? Could be just a stub which then calls (but cannot find) the true installation, which would be probably 100's Mb Another guess would be that the .net framework is not installed, or the wrong version. You should check with MS - you will need the real, true 64-bit version compiled for Windows 7 for all of .net, sql server, sql client. You will certainly need to be doing most of that signed as an Administrator.

This could be compatibility or install sequence issues.

Did you run the Win/7 compatibility test? MS has disclosed which software is compatible with Win/7.

In addition, WHICH SQL? MS has the Sql Server and client side software.
There's the MySQL client/server and
several scripting language interfaces, like PHP and Perl.

Hi Jobeard
I gave up with it in the end and reinstalled W7 on a reformatted drive - actually it was new but that should not make a difference. Seems to have worked this time. I ran the install as the first apps install after I had done the drivers - I blame Kaspersky but cannot be sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back