Win XP new user really basic start menu question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruth ann

Hello,

I have just started using Win XP and I am so lost. I have a million questions but 2 will do for now.

How do I get rid of programs from the start menu/programs? In 98 I could go to the start menu advanced tab and had options to add or remove programs. In xp when the style is set to classic I can do that but it's not showing me all the programs that are on the tab, it seems to be taking them from the documents and settings/ruth/start menu/programs instead of the all users folder. Not sure when I got my own logon since I am the only user but at some point I remember having to do something. Anyway, when I check the regular xp style for the start menu I can't get to any place that says add/remove programs from start menu. So, can I go to that all users start menu programs folder and just delete them? Aren't they all just shorcuts?

And, one other question, how do I prevent programs from being added to the start menu? I don't seem to ever get that option when installing a program [or re-installing it] The installer just says x program added to start menu.

Thanks for the time, and if there is a better place to post for a really really don't know how to do anything in XP user please let me know. :)

Ruth

You right click on 'programs' and select 'explore all users' then go ahead and edit away.

Also, many install programs wont let you not install shortcuts to the start menu, just delete them manually.

I hope I understood your question and I hope this helps.
Cheers.

Yes, you understood and it helps tremendously particularly in lowering my frustration level. Thanks :)

Ruth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back