Not open for further replies.

Mictlantecuhtli

This is what my desktop should be:

displays.png

This is what Win7 decides to change it every time a fullscreen game crashes:

displaysfail.png

Is there a way to stop this?

1. Try the RC or full release
2. Try what W7 likes to think is the default and move the monitor connections themselves to match
3. generally speaking, monitors NOT in left-to-right or right-to-left order are likely to blow W7 tiny mind, so try to achieve that with physical position and connector changes as appropriate
4. could just as easily be a driver problem for the video card - might be worth letting the card manufacturers know. You probably know if they work properly in XP, Vista
5. Try to use identical video cards instead of mixed types
6. For win95-98 at least, there was a program called Tidy95 which would save and restore screen resolutions and icon positions on the click of a button. No idea if it still works in XP let alone W7, but there might be a similar package that will do the same thing.

1. Try the RC or full release
This is RC.
2. Try what W7 likes to think is the default and move the monitor connections themselves to match
Switched 1 & 2, monitor 3 still reverts to landscape position and 2 (1280x720) goes to 1920x1080.
3. generally speaking, monitors NOT in left-to-right or right-to-left order are likely to blow W7 tiny mind, so try to achieve that with physical position and connector changes as appropriate
wut?
4. could just as easily be a driver problem for the video card - might be worth letting the card manufacturers know. You probably know if they work properly in XP, Vista
This combination doesn't work in Vista at all and I don't have XP to test.
5. Try to use identical video cards instead of mixed types
Not an option.

wut?

Your desired monitor configuration has screens 2-3-1 and the mousecursor should sweep across them from left to right. What I am suggesting is that you arrange the numbering on your sample layout in the order 1-2-3 or 3-2-1 such that the mouse runs across in that sequence. To reach that, you will need to change the connections around, if that is the order you want to see your monitors on the table. Is this a better explaination?

BTW1: after the screens have done the happy-jive, does the mouse still sweep across correctly, or does it now leap from screen to screen?

BTW2: I have a Dell at work running Win98 and a twin-monitor video card (radeon 9250). On there the whole collection of desktop icons moves down the screen by about 5 pixels at every boot. To cure that tommy-rot was how I found Desktop Tidy. This is the only PC to show that crazy symptom, despite the fact that there are another 5 PC's with the same configuration of PC make, OS and video card. Just proves that all PC's have a secret life of their own....

From 50 seriously useful Windows tips http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/50-seriously-useful-windows-7-tips-528483

8. Switch to a projector

Windows 7 now provides a standard way to switch your display from one monitor to another, or a projector - just press Win+P or run DisplaySwitch.exe and choose your preferred display. (This will have no effect if you've only one display connected.)

Bound to have some affect on your problem - good or bad - probably bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back