Win7 System-Kernel 50% then freeze

berserk41

I run a non-profit and just bought a new computer. It takes me about 8 hours to get my computer all set up and now every other day or so I get a freeze. The Kernel goes to 50% CPU, the computer lags, and then bam freeze. This makes me think that one of the processors might be overheating, but what do I know?

I read a couple and get pci.sys as a driver that seems to be a frequent culprite, but others show up too. What do I do now?

What I don't want to do is call Asus and have them tell me to re-install, but then again it may save me more time than trying to fix it myself. Except, then it will likely start happening again anyway.

I have posted my minidump files to skydrive, but can't link them here. PM me if you can help so I can send them to you. THANK YOU!

You can attach five of your most recent minidump files in one Zip file by using our Manage Attachments button that you will find the next time you post. Scroll down and you will find it. Please don't zip each file separately.

You need to tell us what you are doing when it freezes.

Files too large

Some of my minidump files are over 1mb...I can post all the files under that, but those one's exceed the max file size even when zipped. BUT, here are the drivers I identified when I read the files:

X64_0x9F_3_HDAudBus_IMAGE_pci.sys

X64_0x7E_nt!KiTryUnwaitThread+28

X64_0x9F_3_HDAudBus_IMAGE_pci.sys

X64_0x9F_3_tcusb_IMAGE_usbhub.sys

X64_0x50_usbscan!USDeviceControl+49c

X64_0x50_usbscan!USDeviceControl+49c

X64_0x3B_win32k!WakeSomeone+1b8

X64_0x9F_4_nt!PnpBugcheckPowerTimeout+76

Any thoughts? It almost exclusively happens when resuming from sleep, which I have now disabled.

It appears Windows 7 is configured for large error files. Do the following and if/when you get more BSODs then attach those files:

Enabling Minidump Files for Windows 7:

1. Go to the Control Panel, choose 'System And Security', and then click 'System', and then click the 'Advanced System Settings' link.

2. In the opened window, click the 'Advanced' tab and then inside the 'Startup And Recovery' frame, click the 'Settings' button.

3. In the opened 'Startup And Recovery' window, there is 'Write Debugging Information' section. You should set the combo-box in this section to 'Small memory dump', and then click 'ok' to confirm the change.

* Since disabling "Sleep" what have been your results?

Not receiving BSOD, few minidump records

Thanks for the response!

I haven't been receiving very many minidump records. The computer usually freezes and doesn't go to the BSOD. It happens soon after the system-Kernel goes to 50%. I have only the last 2 produced (attached).

So what happens typically is soon after waking the system responds slowly, I check the task manager and if the system is at 50% it is a matter of 5 min. or so before it will lock up. Then I have to hard shutdown. So that will throw off a log file I am sure.

I have disabled allow to wake on my USB devices, tried not using my legacy USB mouse/keyboard, but none of that seems to work. I have tried disabling sleep/hibernate, but it still froze up. So my test now is disabling wake on the wireless Internet.

Any thoughts? I know it isn't much to go off of.

Attachments

• Minidump Files.zip
    165.8 KB · Views: 1
Go to Asus' website, find your exact motherboard and update the latest driver offerings that they have especially for USB devices.

I have updated all the drivers and the bios from the website to the latest versions. So I double checked the USB drivers and did a repair install.

Reformatted and Same Issue

SO I took the computer to the techs, since it was under warranty. What they told me is that it definitely isn't hardware related. Ok, well so that means I got some little driver or piece of software causing me to go crazy. At least I got 2 years to make this hard-drive go cur plunk by powering off in impatience. I actually waited for the BSOD and found that if I restart the computer when the Kernel goes to 50% it will blue screen after about 10 minutes of waiting. Here are the last 5 minidumps since I reformatted. Everything is up-to-date on the ASUS driver end. Any thoughts?

Is it possible it is a piece of software or is it pretty much for sure a driver? Could it be a driver/dll remaining after uninstall? I was thinking it might be this crappy USB server I got from monoprice.com, but I uninstalled the software and problem persist.

Thanks again for your help! Let me know if you have any other leads or ideas.

Attachments

• Minidump Files.zip
    187.7 KB · Views: 1
All five dumps cite the same error code 0x9F: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
A driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. Typically occurs during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down, or moving into or out of standby or hibernate mode.

One did not cite anything specific but the remaining four all cited the Miccrosoft OS driver HDAudBus.sys as the culprit. This is not a core Microsoft driver.

See this link: http://www.file.net/process/hdaudbus.sys.html

Thank you for the help! It seems that I had a program installed that was causing a lot of bugs that I removed. And then this issue. The hdaudbus.sys seems to be the onboard driver for audio. I disabled it and haven't crashed since. I simply have to re-enable it to have audio, which is unfortunate. Not sure why a manufacturer would release such a computer situation. Ahhhh well. I can live with this at least.

Thanks Again!

Hey! Thanks for getting back to us. It is much appreciated. :) You could probably pick yourself up an inexpensive PCI sound card that should do you just fine. Just make sure you disable the onboard sound in the BIOS before installing if you choose to do so.

Also, consider going to Asus' website, find your board and update the latest onboard audio drivers.

Back