Win7 x64: Apps won't pin to taskbar

childofthetao

Hi, I think I ran a registry "fixer" or something that messed with the registry. Because I now can no longer pin anything to the taskbar :(

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thanks
Calvin

Making a point: Most of us do not recommend Registry cleaners or 'fixers'. The main reason is that 1.The average user doesn't not know that a Registry backup should always be made before making any Registry changes and 2. The average user isn't aware of what a Registry change can do.

To pin to the Taskbar:
1. Click on the Start menu to locate the program.
2. Right click on the program icon and choose Pin to the Taskbar.

What happens now when you try to do this?
Have you attempted doing a System Restore to date before you changed the Registry?

It hppened ages ago, I don't think I have any restore points that go that far back.

The "pin to task bar" is simply not there in any of my menus.

In Windows 7, there may be occasional error where user cannot drag and drop an application program to Windows Taskbar (Superbar) and Start Menu anymore, with the icon shows a red cross when user attempts to place it on Taskbar or Start Menu. When right click on a program icon or shortcut, the “Pin to Taskbar” and “Pin to Start Menu” context menu is missing and not showing too.

Other symptom that may affect users facing these errors in Windows 7 including no Jump List been popped up when right clicking on icons in Taskbar.

The cause of the problem is because users have made the shortcut in Windows 7 to be ‘not a shortcut’ by removing the shortcut arrow on icons (including desktop icons) by removing IsShortcut registry key.

Thus, to fix the issue that application programs unable to pin to Taskbar and Start Menu, just re-add the IsShortcut registry key back to .lnk (and other extensions if applicable) shortcut to reset and restore back original state.

For user who insists on removing the shortcut arrow, the proper way to remove shortcut arrow yet still allowing pin to Taskbar.

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

Thanks for the help.

Thus, to fix the issue that application programs unable to pin to Taskbar and Start Menu, just re-add the IsShortcut registry key back to .lnk (and other extensions if applicable) shortcut to reset and restore back original state.

How do I do that? I've tried google but all I find are way to remove it :/

For user who insists on removing the shortcut arrow, the proper way to remove shortcut arrow yet still allowing pin to Taskbar.

What is that proper way?

Thanks

I managed to get the arrows back and I can pin thing to the taskbar again. Thanks.

But what is the correct way to remove the arrows?

Brett M,Windows Outreach Team

Would you the the same group who posted here previously misrepresenting themselves as an outreach team from Microsoft?

The cause of the problem is because users have made the shortcut in Windows 7 to be ‘not a shortcut’ by removing the shortcut arrow on icons (including desktop icons) by removing IsShortcut registry key.
So you are suggesting that a user purposedly went in to the Regidtry, did an Edit to disallow the shortcut emblem?

Some applications are not fully compatible with the new Superbar in Win7 yet. As such they dont have the option to be pinned to the Superbar and there is nothing that can be done. When you see the unavailable icon (red circle icon) that means that it is not available to pin it.

Tao child: the arrows can be removed using a Registry Edit. However I do not recommend you going into the Registry to do this unless you are familiar with registry settings and do a full backup of the Registry first.

Brett M,Windows Outreach Team

Would you the the same group who posted here previously misrepresenting themselves as an outreach team from Microsoft?

So you are suggesting that a user purposedly went in to the Regidtry, did an Edit to disallow the shortcut emblem?

Some applications are not fully compatible with the new Superbar in Win7 yet. As such they dont have the option to be pinned to the Superbar and there is nothing that can be done. When you see the unavailable icon (red circle icon) that means that it is not available to pin it.

Tao child: the arrows can be removed using a Registry Edit. However I do not recommend you going into the Registry to do this unless you are familiar with registry settings and do a full backup of the Registry first.

Thanks, ill not mess with it, I'm just glad to be able to pin again :)

You're welcome. Risk vs benefit> messing with the Registry just to remove an arrow weighs more heavily on the risk side.

Back