Windows 11 previews touch-mode taskbar adjustments

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: This month, a couple of new Windows 11 Insider Preview builds have started to add more features for touch screen users. They mainly include touch and gesture functions for the taskbar, start menu, and other functions available on the desktop.

Last week’s Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22557 was a reasonably significant release. Among its additions were new touch gestures for opening and closing the Start Menu. Users with touch screens can now swipe up on the taskbar to open the menu.

They can swipe left or right in the menu to switch between pinned apps, all apps, and recommended apps. Swiping down closes the Start Menu, and the same gestures on the bottom right side of the taskbar will open and close the Quick Settings.

This week’s build 22563 gives users a tablet-optimized taskbar. When on a tablet or 2-in-1, the taskbar will now automatically hide and unhide itself when a keyboard is disconnected or reconnected (or folded and unfolded), respectively. Users can check if their device is compatible with the feature by heading to Settings > Personalization > Taskbar > Taskbar behaviors.

Build 22557 added several more new features, like folders for the pinned apps in the Start Menu. There is also a Do Not Disturb switch and a Focus mode similar to the one Apple introduced in iOS 15 to control notifications. Users can now activate auto-generated captions for videos, though only in English for now. There are also improvements to the File Explorer, the Task Manager, window snapping, and a lot more.

Permalink to story.

What a shame they don't concentrate on keeping their products secure from hackers rather than forcing users into things that are useless, unwanted, or counterproductive .... thank God for Linux!

If you're a techie running Windows 11, I recommended the Beta channel. You'll get improvments after dev channel subscribers, but before stable version.

What a shame they don't concentrate on keeping their products secure from hackers rather than forcing users into things that are useless, unwanted, or counterproductive .... thank God for Linux!
They definitely made big steps there as well, since moving onto XP and then Vista big steps were made (ditching internet explorer helped too). Security vulnerabilities are a lot more rare now.

The programmers who worked on these features also tend to have a vastly different skillset than those that work on security. Asking them to work on security updates is a bit like asking the guy that painted your wall to paint you a portrait.

At least it's not Android where despite the Linux kernel things are still insecure because somehow security updates still after a few years.

I love Windows, I love Linux, I love the freedom to use both when I want. So, it's all good to me.
Everything is not about improving productivity necessarily. People like eye candy. I know I do.

There's a lot of good in Windows 10 in my opinion, even if it isn't always perfect. But at least they have the feedback hub for that kind of stuff.

Ah, once again Microsoft sees fit to try and turn a desktop OS into a tablet OS. Because that went so well with Windows 8.

Ah, once again Microsoft sees fit to try and turn a desktop OS into a tablet OS. Because that went so well with Windows 8.
Since Windows 8 came out ten years ago. Microsoft has had plenty of time to actually look at user telemetry when touch is used to improve usability.

People like eye candy. I know I do.
Personally, I would rather have them skip the eye candy and do something useful. I upgraded to 11 at work, and there is nothing I cannot live without. I think M$ just wanted churn in releasing 11. A one size fits all approach is not an easy path to follow. I'll be surprised if they are able to make it work this time around.

Since Windows 8 came out ten years ago. Microsoft has had plenty of time to actually look at user telemetry when touch is used to improve usability.
If I recall correctly Windows 8's disastrous alterations were also based on "muh telemetry". Making changes to the OS based on blind data-mined statistics instead of actual observed use and user experience is a recipe for disaster.

That said I'm not sure Satya actually cares anyway, as he sees Windows as some troublesome legacy product on the fringes of his glorious cloud empire. Sooner or later I suppose I'll oblige his ideas by switching to Linux full-time.

Back