Windows 11 will soon open all links in the default browser, but only for users in Europe

DragonSlayer101

Staff
The big picture: Microsoft recently released Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 23531 to the Dev Channel, bringing a couple of notable changes and a whole bunch of bug fixes. Not all the changes, however, are applicable to all users globally, as the most notable new feature is only available to people in the European Economic Area (EEA), which includes the European Union alongside Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway.

As part of the change, Windows 11 PCs in the region will soon open all links in the default web browser rather than Microsoft Edge. It will be a welcome update, as people have often expressed frustration at Microsoft's decision to override default browser settings in recent versions of Windows and open some help articles, links from the Settings panel, and Widget stories in Edge.

Earlier this year, the company also angered users by confirming that all browser links from Outlook and Teams in Windows 10 and 11 devices will now open in Edge, disregarding the default browser setting. In Outlook in Windows, the email containing the link now also opens in the Edge sidebar alongside the linked content. Moreover, embedded links in Teams messages will open in Microsoft Edge in the future, the company said.

Meanwhile, it's not immediately clear why only people in the EEA will be the beneficiaries of the latest change, as the problem affects all Windows 10 and 11 users, irrespective of their location. As you'd expect, the news that the vast majority of Windows users will continue to be forced to use Edge against their will has not gone down well.

As pointed out by Bleeping Computer, people on internet forums are looking for ways to trick their PCs into thinking that they are in the EU, just so Windows will abide by their default browser choice. For now, at least, there doesn't seem to be any obvious way for people outside the EEA to stop Edge from opening links on their PC, but it will be interesting to see if Microsoft will eventually implement the change for all users globally.

Windows 11 comes with a number of upgrades over previous versions of Windows, and most of the changes have been received warmly by users and the media alike. However, it continues to have minor irritants that spoil the experience for power users. One can only hope that Microsoft will iron out most of these issues by the time it releases Windows 12, possibly sometime next year.

Permalink to story.

I even use Edge as a secondary browser, I don't mind it, but Microsoft pushing it all the time, begging to be the default browser is infuriating. Trash company surviving on past successes.

I was using Edge for IE mode, but since this was removed by my company I made a Win7 VM and use IE11 native with ActiveX and all the old junk that some management systems use. We have many OOB, LOM and iDrac that work only with Internet Exploder 11.

I use Edge as my primary browser. I switched from FF when Edge switched to chromium. I haven't looked back. I've never liked chrome.

There are alternatives, and often better ones, to MS Windows. We know they will never stop their attempts to get a monopolistic position, so better to do the swap earlier rather than later.

I find it interesting that Microsoft is back to almost identical underhanded tactics that got it sued in a massive anti-trust lawsuit 25 years ago (and they lost) when they were pushing Internet Explorer... I guess it's true that history repeats itself?

You can easily change the defaults for every single link that you could possibly click on in Windows 11, so this really is a non-issue. Sure it would maybe be nice to just have to change it once, but having to change it on maybe a dozen-ish entries really isn't that bad, and takes like 30 seconds.

I find it interesting that Microsoft is back to almost identical underhanded tactics that got it sued in a massive anti-trust lawsuit 25 years ago (and they lost) when they were pushing Internet Explorer... I guess it's true that history repeats itself?

The government in the 1990's didn't tolerate anti-trust behavior. Today's governments, other then Eurpose, are ok with it. There was some talk a few years ago about cracking down on big Tech, but their lobby power is too big at this point. Microsoft is mostly following the lead of other big tech at this point. They aren't the ones leading the way in bad behavior. They know people need Windows whether it's pleasant to use or not and they make more money if you use Edge.

You can easily change the defaults for every single link that you could possibly click on in Windows 11, so this really is a non-issue. Sure it would maybe be nice to just have to change it once, but having to change it on maybe a dozen-ish entries really isn't that bad, and takes like 30 seconds.
I don't know about 11 but where I work we use Windows 10 Education which is equivalent to Enterprise. We use Microsoft Group Policy to manage the settings on our systems for our users, and despite us specifying another web browser to be default - ever time M$FT installs an Edge or maybe even Windows update it overridfes our group policy setting and sets the users to Edge. It is shameful and infuriating behavior. Oh it's a bug? Maybe but a persistient bug over the many years this has been happening - which doesn't surprise me. I believe it to be deliberate though.

Now do that on every program and pray that updates wont revert you changes like they have occasionally have dont. Win11 UI for setting default programs sucks.

I am a Brave user but I use Edge for widevine streaming. So please MS, stop with the browser bullying. Not a good look.

Outlook has a setting what to open web links with:
https://services.dartmouth.edu/TDPo...5-6a3b-4135-9dc3-eb5892506b6e.jpg&beidInt=323

Get off your tinfoil hat, it's just a classic case of the left foot not knowing what the right hand is doing.
As usual, there is no conspiracy, just laziness and stupidity.
What??? Sorry. Not a bug either. Intentional, mimicing past behavior. With Microsoft, it's always a conspiracy to get people to use their products. They have an unfair advantage, using their OS to promote their products.

Back