Windows 2003 server gets BSOD about once a week

I have the last 3 mini dumps .. I don't have a reader and even if I did I probably couldn't understand it.

Was hoping someone could help me :)

Some info about the server
Server runs windows 2003 with vmware server running windows 2003 boxes. It has 16gb of ram and runs about 20 boxes. CPU usually running at 50-70% all the time

Last 3 mini dumps are attached in a zip file

I appreciate any help.

Attachments

• Mini071311-02.zip
    55.1 KB · Views: 3
Twice the VMX driver vmx86.sys was cited as the cause of your crashes.

However, two of the error codes are 0x8E and these are almost always caused by hardware and can be a strong indicator of Bad RAM. One cited the above driver while the other simply cited hardware. It is the hardware one I would be concerned with.

When do these BSODs occur?

server is newish.. 5-6 months old. I dont remember the exact specs but its 6 cores.
Important to note that I have 2 servers with the same hardware and pretty much the same set up and this only happens to one of them.

not sure how big powersupply is.. i think its big enough though .. judging from the other server. I will check when I get home though.

the BSODs occur randomly.. nothing new is happening that hasnt been happening every minute the entire time it was running

I earlier thought it was possibly ram also and ran a ram test for 24hours with zero errors.. but I suppose that could be meaningless if the crash only occurs about once a week

is it possible the RAM isnt bad.. but maybe just overheating?

Thanks Route44 for the help ;)
bail3yz, try running the problem server with the case open for a while. These poor servers always produce a lot of heat. Is the server room properly air conditioned?

Hi, case is open already lol

Server room has AC but it gets really hot in here still.

So overheating ram could be the issue though?

Luckily in a few weeks I am expanding my set up to add another server with the same parts. So at that time I can hopefully swap out all the parts and see if anything is bad.

Until there I will buy more fans and keep the AC on all the time :)

Thanks for the help everyone

Back