Windows 7 and Nvidia drivers fighting with each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbonniwell

About a week ago while playing Crysis, My system stopped.
The deal is my system will not work any more with the 197.25 or 196.xx or 195.62 Nvidia drivers. I can boot without any video drivers and I can boot in safe mode. but as soon as I in stall the drivers and then asked to restart, it does not boot all the way.

My system:
Win 7 Ultimate
XFX 9800 Video card about 2 years old but not used that much
790i mother board
4 gig Corsair ram 1333
E8800 Intel CPU
The game Crysis

What I've done so far:
-Use Win 7 disk to do a recover
-Tested memory ....OK
-Did system restore... (No help)
-Defrag, ccleaner. and AFT cleaner and virus check... No luck
-I installed a 8800 Video card from BFG, loaded the drivers and no problem. I am up and running. So memory and motherboard and drivers are not the problem. I am thinking the 9800 video card is bad, however XFX will do nothing for me nor of course will the Egg. What are my options? I think this thing costed about 290$$$

Is it the V card, is there anything else I can try. If so please advise.

Or Is there any where I can send it to have it fixed? This thing has too few hours to throw out.

If the system is fine with the 8800GT/GS then it does point to the graphics card.
When the 9800GT/GTX was installed, did the system recognise it ? i.e. Device manager > Display adapter > 9800GT(X?) shows up ? No yellow triangle/question mark scenario next to the name ?
If the card is non-functioning then it could be either through a number of reasons; power/voltage regulation, bad vRAM chip (the card would still likely display in 2D mode), dry/cracked solder joint (you could try the DIY reflow method as last resort if the card is not covered by warranty- plenty of threads about it). If you think the reflow method is a little ghetto, bear in mind that BGA reballing is a very similar exercise.

do people fix these or throw them out? I would like to send it in and have it fixed on a pay for service basis

If the cost of getting it fixed is greater than the current value of this thing, I wouldn't really bother about getting it fixed. However, if the issue turns out to be fixable rather cheaply I see no harm with that idea. I'll advise you to take it to your local tech and see what they tell you/ or what cost estimate they give you for fixing it.

Certain drivers for nVidia install a firewall. In the past it caused me great consternation on a new xw9400 with a nVidia Quadro FX 3500 video card. HP finally pointed me toward the nvidia firewall which I had never heard of before. Second firewall??
Anyway I uninstalled it in Add/Remove and my probles went away. I'm sorry I cannot remeber the exact name of the program, but it was something like nvidia monitor.
Worth a shot if you have that program installed. Was default I believe.

I found a reference at:
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t10816.html

its called NAM networkaccessmanager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back