Windows 7 -- boot missing file

Hi all,

I have been trying to fix my PC all evening. Originally it kept loop booting into windows 7 Startup Repair. With no luck I started the command line and realised it wasn't recognising an OS on the bootrec, so I found a fix in another forum

Code:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup  
c:
cd boot
attrib bcd -s -h -r
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old  
bootrec /rebuildbcd

This fixed that problem and actually showed an OS, so I ran the standard bootrec fixes and restarted.

On restart it is saying I am missing a file (aswNdis.sys) and asks me to boot with the windows 7 disc.

I boot with that and it doesn't give me any options to install or recover. I then used a windows 7 repair disc and that hasn't helped yet either.

I was wondering if there was a way to install the missing driver from a disc through the command line or if anyone else has any suggestions.

This all happened installing the new Avast update, stay well clear is my opinion.

thanks for your comment...I finally found a fix that didn't require a fresh install.

Code:
1. Keep tapping F8 during the early boot phase.
2. Select Safe Mode Command Prompt from the menu.
3. Log on as Administrator if prompted.
4. Select Repair when prompted.
5. Select the Command Prompt.
6. Identify the correct drive letter for your Windows installation. It could be drive E: or F:. You do it by typing the commands
    dir C:\Win*
    dir D:\Win*
    dir E:\Win*
    until you find the Windows folder.
    I will call that drive "Q:".
7. Type these commands:
    cd /d Q:\windows\System32\config
    xcopy *.* Q:\RegBack\
    cd RegBack
    dir
8. Examine the dates of the Software, System and SAM files. Were the files created before or after your problem became apparent?
9. If they were made before the problem became apparent then you can type these commands:
    copy /y software  ..
    copy /y System  ..
    copy /y Sam ..
    (the two dots are part of each command)
10. Reboot normally. If things do not work out then you can backtrack by copying the original registry files from Q:\Regback to Q:\Windows\System32\config.

Thought I would post for people's future reference.

Back