Windows 7 HP Permissions issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwyllie

I have Windows 7 Home Premium on two computers and am seeing the same issue on both.

Issue 1: I have a program folder in Program Files (x86) and am trying to apply an update. The update is a simple zip file that replaces many of the files in the folder. I open the zip file in 7-Zip and extract to the folder. I get an error message that the files cannot be replaced. If I allow 7-zip to run as an administrator I am told certain files (.dll, .exe,.chm) cannot be deleted I can, however, unzip to a desktop folder and copy the files.

Issue 2: May be in general, but I use EditPlus for a text editor and if I try to save an existing file over itself I'm told it is read only (and I've tried to remove the attribute and it looks like it is removing it but it doesn't). I set EditPlus to runa as administrator and I can now save the file but I always get an error pop up "There was a problem sending a command to the program".

It appears that in general all files on my C drive are protected in some way and I'd prefer to not have things locked down so tightly. I've tired to set all folders/subfolders to full control for authenticated users. I then did the same to the Program Files (x86) folder and it appeared to go through all the files making the changes but when all was said an done everything was the same as it was. (Yes, I am aware of the security issues in dion this and am willing to accept them).

Does anyone have any idea how to change the permissions on this drive so that I don't have to play games to get files updated (games being put the file in a desktop or my documents folder and then do a copy).

Thanks.

Ok, it appears you understand NTFS perms.

However, you can not replace or move a program that is loaded (ie: the access count > 0).

MS performs access counting to ensure that the program (on disk) is not changed while in execution.

BOOT Safe Mode to reduce the number of active Services. However, \windows\explorer.exe
is ALWAYS active and it for one can not be updated in this manner -- which is why we see
REBOOT requirements for some MS Updates.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think it's an "in use" issue as in case 1 the program was no running and is not one that keeps a service running. And in case 2 the file I'm trying to save is a text file.

From all appearances it seems that even running as administrator theses programs don't have the rights to replace files. For the executables is there some windows setting that disallows this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back