Windows 7 install will not boot from CD, Status: 0xc0000017

Status
Not open for further replies.

LXIX

I've been using Windows 7 RC build 7100 and since it was going to expire soon I went out and got a full version of Windows 7 Ultimate for my pc.

I popped the disc in and started the install from within windows, since my build 7100 wasn't supported for upgrade I had to do a custom install. I formatted my hard drive and installed windows 7 fresh. When it was finished the computer restarted and it hung at "Verifying DMI pool data.....Success."
I restarted a couple times but kept getting the same message so I put the disc in again and boot from the disc and went through the whole installation process again same as the first time but ended up with the same results.

I then tried clearing my cmos and powering on and when it attempts to boot from the hard drive it gives me a windows error message about my hard drive not being configured properly or something. Well now when I try to boot from the windows 7 install disc again I get the error screen shown below:

02_06.png

The weird thing is that I even swapped in a different hard drive and powered on and boot from disc and kept getting the exact same error message. I have no idea what can be causing this I spent hours in the BIOS tweaking settings & resetting, yet nothing seems to work.

Tried my original Windows 7 RC disc & also burned another copy of 7 RC at 1x speed w/ imgburn, still same windows boot manager error when i try to boot from disc. Tried a windows XP install disc but the screen hangs at Windows is starting Installation forever & will not start.

I've also tried removing RAM, putting RAM in different slots and different configurations. Swapping HDDs plugging HDDs into different SATA ports w/ different SATA cables. I've also plugged my HDD into another working computer & reformatted it again & put it back into my computer but when I press any key to boot from CD or DVD it still gives me that same error screen above, no matter which Windows 7 boot disc I'm using.
I still have yet to try installing w7 from a bootable USB, looking up how to make one right now.

Specs:
DFI Lan Party 790gx mATX motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 quad 955 @ 3.2ghz
3x 2gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 RAM (6gbs total)
I'm using the onboard graphics right now (HD 3300) after removing my regular graphics card to rule it out as part of the problem.

I might need to bring it into the shop if I can't figure it out :(

What do you mean by this?
I popped the disc in and started the install from within windows
Unless you employ a hack, you can't upgrade from RC to RTM.
You have to perform clean install.

What do you mean by this?

Unless you employ a hack, you can't upgrade from RC to RTM.
You have to perform clean install.

I know, I stated that it wasn't supported & said that I had to perform a custom(clean) install w/ a formatted drive.
I also wrote that I performed a clean install booting from the disc several times outside of windows (of course because my hard drive is formatted).

"I popped the disc in and started the install from within windows, since my build 7100 wasn't supported for upgrade I had to do a custom install."

I noted that step to explain why i formatted my hard drive, I did not know that I could not upgrade to RTM from RC prior to popping the disc in. Upon discovery, I formatted my hard drive. I did not employ a hack nor did I upgrade from RC to RTM. I performed a clean install

Yeah, it's weird, because that message is a rare Windows case, when it usually means what it says - not enough RAM, but it surely is not your case.

Since it happens with another hard drive, the only thing, that comes to my mind is to try to flash BIOS.

Yeah because when I originally googled that error messaged to find a fix it was caused by people not having enough RAM. I wonder if there is something preventing it from recognizing my RAM? If I take out all the RAM it won't even post past "C1" so surely it does know it's there.

I might have to try flashing the BIOS, weirdest thing when I first assembled this thing it started up & installed xp & RC later on just fine w/ the default BIOS settings :S

try to removed your RAM one at a time then reboot your PC, you might have faulty RAM.

Yup I've tried booting it with just 1 stick of RAM with 3 different sticks. Tried booting with RAM in just the first channel, also just in the second channel. Tried every configuration I could think of and every time same error unless I take them all out in which case the computer won't post pass "C1".
I don't think it's bad RAM but somehow it just isn't seeing it.

I can't find any place in the BIOS where it specifically tells me how much RAM i have. All I can see is DDR3 RAM @ 800mhz.

That's weird again.
I'm not sure, what else to tell you...
Try to reset BIOS to defaults.
Try to remove CMOS battery for couple of minutes.

That's weird again.
I'm not sure, what else to tell you...
Try to reset BIOS to defaults.
Try to remove CMOS battery for couple of minutes.

Tried resetting the BIOS & removing the CMOS battery although I didn't leave the CMOS battery out for more than a couple seconds so I'll try that one again.

Here are the exact same BIOS I have on my board: GENIE BIOS by Phoenix
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x48-motherboard,1941-9.html

Well I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right thing but it looks like it's telling me in BIOS & in POST that the memory count is 64mb...:S

& I have 6gbs inserted.

That surely could be a reason for your initial error.
Did you try to remove that battery for a longer time?
If so, I guess, flashing BIOS will be your next step.

I can't even find where to download the BIOS for my motherboard :S
DFI Lan Party JR 790GX-M3H5 AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI Micro ATX

According to DFI Site following Corsair models are supported:
CM3X2048-1600C9DHX, Corsair
CM3X2048-1600C7DHX, Corsair
XM3X2048-1600C7DHXIN, Corsair
TR3X3G1600C8D, Corsair (I'm assuming you have these Modules), but there is no harm in checking that.

On this DFI Page, you can find the latest bios, which was released in October of last year.

Whoo awesome thanks loads & loads for those links I'll try flashing the BIOS later this morning and see if that works out.

Also I'm certain my RAM is supported because the first time i Built this system and put everything together it started up on the first go no problem. Recognized all 6gbs.

Hopefully flashing the BIOS will fix my problem, also going to try to boot from the USB stick instead of the Optical.

EDIT: guessing i should choose the last one since my drive is formatted?

NOTE: users of WindowsXP 32bit and 64bit can use Winflash to update their bios if they do not have a floppy drive. Click here to download Wiinflash Ver 1.94 and Click here to view instructions for flashing bios using Winflash Ver 1.94 , only if you are using winXP 32 bit or 64 bit.

AWARD BIOS Update Guideline.
NOTE: users of WindowsXP 32bit and 64bit can use Winflash to update their bios if they do not have a floppy drive. Click here to download Wiinflash Ver 1.94 and Click here to view instructions for flashing bios using Winflash Ver 1.94 , only if you are using winXP 32 bit or 64 bit.

NOTE: users with VISTA 32 bit or VISTA 64 bit should NOT use Winflash 1.94 to flash bios but should use a USB stick. You can Click HERE to view instructions for flashing bios with Usb stick when your operating system is VISTA 32 bit or VISTA 64 bit.

AMI BIOS Update Guideline.
NOTE: users of Windows7 / XP / Vista 32/64bits can use Ez_flash3264 to update their BIOS & ABS II Profile. Click here to download Ez_flash3264 Ver 001 and Click here to view instructions for flashing bios using Ez_flash3264 Ver 001

NOTE: If the system BIOS can?t Boot should NOT use Ez_flash3264 to flash BIOS but should use a BIOSecure Utility. You can use BIOSecure to update their BIOS. Click here to download BIOSecure Ver.003 and Click here to view instructions for flashing bios using BIOSecure Ver.003

hmm looks like all the methods I posted have to be executed from within windows. Is the only way for me to do it from a floppy diskette?

So I didn't even touch the thing since last night I try to power it up right now and it hangs at POST 00. I unplug the primary hdd and swap in my secondary and power it up and it hangs at POST C1. I try plugging them both in and the thing starts up and get to post processing where I can press DEL to enter BIOS & it won't read my key inputs. I even have a PS/2 keyboard plugged in. So it just continues to load from "bank 02.......Phenom II x4 Black Editio....." and restarts and hangs at POST C1.

I'll just bring it into the shop and then come back and relieve us all of the mystery :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back