Windows 7 Media Player freezes computer when try to play TV or DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

technoheckno

Hi,
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
I installed the 64 bit version of Windows 7 premium yesterday. It's an upgrade version but I did an install from scratch rather than an upgrade install. I had hoped that this would solve the problems I'd been having trying to watch TV with Vista. I ought to have known better.
What happens is that I select Live/TV or Recorded TV in Windows Media Player or insert a DVD into the drive and it starts playing OK then after a few minutes everything stops. The computer won't respond to remote control, mouse or keyboard so I have to use the power switch to turn off the computer.
I think I have the latest drivers and bios installed for motherboard/graphics card/sound card. There don't seem to be any events logged that correspond to this so I'm baffled.
The system details are:
The computer details are:
processor : AMD Phenom 11 x4 940 300ghz
Ram 4GB
M/board: Asus M4N78
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 1GB
Soundcard: Creative SB XFI
TV card: KWorld PC160-2T
TV signal is from a rooftop aerial
O/S Windows 7 Premium 64-bit
TV : Sony KDL40V4000

Thanks.

Still freezing

Hi,
Yes I ran the upgrade advisor first - and it told me everything was fine. Since then I've installed software for Kworld who manufacture the TV card and find I can play live or recorded TV OK using that. But I suspect a problem with Display drivers as both Windows media player and Nero media player have both blue-screened when trying to play a Dvd quoting an error with nvlddmkm.sys. I've tried installing the latest beta driver for the video card but still get the error so next step is to hassle Nvidia.
Thanks
Allan

You should be able to go to Nvidia's driver site and run the video driver detection utility from there, inorder to get the proper Windows 7 video driver. You don't need Nero at all with Vista or Windows 7, they have built in burning utilites

I had the drivers which the Nvidia detection utility selected (v191.07 for W7 64bit) but as I had the problem I downloaded the beta version (v195.39) to see if that would solve it- but still have the problem :). I tried Nero to rule out the possibility that the error was application specific - and discovered it isn't :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back