Windows 7 occasional freeze

D

Dalton

Sometimes when I am browsing the browser will just freeze up and will unfreeze in about 5-10 seconds but I can still move my mouse. I can't remember but I think I can't even do anything with Windows either. The browser I am using is Mozilla Firefox and I am on Windows 7 HP 64-bit. I installed WIndows just recently like 4 or 5 days ago. Does this indicate just a minor issue or something bigger? Thanks

Actually this is a big subject, and if you are a beginner (of a sort), you have a lot to learn. Start here https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-slows-windows-down.58483/

Check how much spare space there is on your hard disc. Win7 64 is a lot bigger than you expect. You also should consider what was installed along with the operating system ? Did it come from an HP OEM install, or what? An old install disc can contain all sorts of out-of-date rubbish that is needing to update itself all the time.

What is your internet protection? Do you have some of the necessary add-ons installed along with Firefox, because the symptoms you describe are very commonly video adverts firing up that you can stop happenening with appropriate Firefox settings.

Ok I have used almost half my disk space already and I wasn't aware that the 64-bit version was bigger and this is actually my first time using a 64-bit OS and been using 32-bit for years. I just got some parts and built this computer and installed Windows just recently. My only protection is MSE. Add-ons I disabled in Firefox and still does it. When you mention the adverts I was actually thinking that seems to happen on some sites with ads and banners and all sorts of things like that and it even happened loading the Facebook log in page so maybe it's to do with certain web pages. It appears to only be related to browsing as far as I can tell and I am having a BSOD video driver issue atm that I am working on, would that have an effect, or perhaps a nic driver?

It is a 250 gig and not sure how old it is, but I think it was made around 2006 or 2007.

The difference is size between 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Windows is negligible... What do you have taking up almost half of the hard drive space? Music, games? What is the size of the power supply?

Mostly music and a few movies and 1 game. The PSU is a 400W and I plan on getting a bigger one as soon as I get a better video card.

Roughly based on what you now say, the pauses are likely caused by videos on websites, that problem you can often deal with by options in firefox like block popup windows, disable javascript, use hardware acceleration when available, limit the number of add-ons and plug-ins. Other contributing factors could be faulty video card or incorrect driver, and a slow internet connection. With videos in particular, at a broadband speed of under 5MB/s you will with complete certainty see short pauses of up to 10 seconds as buffers are refilled every minute or so, and your only recourse is to limit the video resolution, the size of the video on-screen or get a fibre-optic link.
An excellent test is to run the BBC iPlayer for ten minutes of a broadcast program.

Ok I played a broadcast for 10 minutes and everything was fine and this morning when I booted up instead I went straight to IE10 instead of my regular browser and there were no freezes, then a little while after I loaded up Firefox and still no freezes. I think you are right with certain websites with ads and videos, but what about the Facebook log in page, could that have an affect as well? Possibly due to javascript on that page?

Your tests show no clear evidence in any area now. You have to accept that broadband transfer rates vary quite significantly by time of day due to website loadings firstly, and secondly broadband throttling by your ISP.

The general advice about java is : don't use it at all unless you absolutely have to - it is a gross security risk and always has been. My approach is have one browser with it enabled, for the occasional need, and the other(s) with it disabled. The main problem is knowing when you need it, as often you get no warnings at all, simply things don't happen. You may not even be aware they are 'not happening' !
http://www.jillcataldo.com/node/25637 and others

I kind of thought java might be a security risk but wasn't aware it was that bad and actually I removed java last night and I don't even really like flash either and I assume that flash is a risk as well? With the freezing I see more now that it happens mainly right when I boot up and load the browser up right away and sometimes when browsing later on. Which is probably from what you said about ads and videos. When it does it right when I boot up maybe that is just something having to load up first maybe? Going to stay away from java mainly cause of that risk and to be honest I rarely ever use it anyway.

New installs of Flash and Java are safe and they are needed to display webpages and internet video and games to function properly

So basically your saying as long as they are kept up to date they are safe? I really don't use java much but I always use flash for videos.

Back