Windows 7 or Vista? or Just get a Macbook?

animemanga

Hello

I'm really struggling to find a long lasting laptop.....Most of them seem to be loosing their performance in a year or two maximum.

I'm ready to splash out something in the range of 600 pounds....looking for 4 GB ram Above 250 GB and a very fast processor ....possible the Core i3. I dont know whether I choose get one with Windows 7 or just stick with Vista. Dell or Toshiba (I'm not too keen on HP/Acer and think Sony are over priced )

Or is it that sort of time to just get a Macbook....how good and durable is it ?? I know it's very secure which is good...but that about it.

You advice/suggestions would be very much appreciated ...Thank you.

One thing you need to keep in mind is that computer technology is constantly being outdated, but computers don't necessarily lose performance. Chances are whatever you decide to buy, it's going to be succeeded no matter what, so there's no winning when it comes to buying the best stuff.

On to operating systems, Windows 7 is hard to not recommend even to someone who is already running Vista. It's faster, more lightweight, and will be better on a laptop. I'm a big fan of Toshiba and Sony primarily because of the reliability factor and options. Some models may be pricey, but I can almost guarantee that you will be happy with either brand. However, both HP and Acer are making quality budget laptops these days, so you may want to consider either if you find a good deal. Not sure if any of the budget models feature core i3 processors though.

Firstly, the Macbook range starts at £849 retail. So its well out of your budget.

Secondly £600 will give you a fairly good laptop. Like EXCel has clearly pointed out, no matter how much you spend, or how good it is, it will be outdated in absolutely no time.

Like with every purchase, you need to ask yourself the following questions:

1. What are you actually going to use it for?
2. Do you have any specific software requirements you need to meet? e.g. CAD software, gaming, office applications etc?
3. If you go Mac, is losing all your software (assuming you use OSX) really viable?

My thoughts:

If you don't really know why you need a Mac, then you really don't need one - Your not missing anything to need to have one. That said, if you feel like a change then its an option available to you.

Mac software will not work natively in Windows, and vis versa. If you want to game, a Mac is not the route to go. Mac's are generally very well built, and last well. They also have very good hardware - But they're not invicible, and some do suffer with problems - Its like everything these days, you get bad fish in the pond.

In regards to Virus issues (of lack thereof), a well secured and protected Windows installation is just as secure as a mac installation. I haven't had a virus on my PC in ages - Its all about how you set it up. If you fail to setup a Mac installation in regards to security its just as vunerable as a badly setup Windows one.

Windows 7 is the definite choice now for PCs/laptops designed to run Windows. It is superior to Vista, and offers a much smoother user environment overall when compared to Vista.

Your budget should get you an i3 CPU, but you might end up with a high end dual core (isnt the end of the world!), and you should also easily meet those RAM and hard disc specifications as well.

Its hard to really give the best advice when we don't know exactly what you use your computer for really. If you could explain I'm sure everyone could advise you better.

i hear good things about both the Toshiba P500 and Sony Vaio EB series laptops, which feature core i5 or i7 processors

Where would you even find a Vista laptop to buy new? Anything that had Vista in it would have to be at least a year or more old, and a closeout item, or something that was a closeout item with an unscrupulous seller saying it wasn't

Okay so Vista is out out of the window and so it Mac....I will buy a standard laptop. I'm buying it for a university student...will be her first year so I pressume a laptop that can do multiple task at fast speed with good graphics and audio. So far I'm thinking the Sony VAIOS models or Dell studio 15... (what do you think of dell studio 15 ?? ) ...Are the new i3 processors fast and good ??

I bought a toshiba two years ago with vista ...and to be honest it wasn't value for money. It looked flashy and fast at the beginning and then things generally deteriorated...now
I cant even stream a video online have to wait for so long.

Anyway your advice/help is much apprecited ....thank you.

I've owned Sony Viao's, and I've owned several Dell Vostro (essentially Inspirion/Studio) laptops. As long as the hardware specification is reasonable they are good laptops.

Some slate Dell's, but to be honest I've now had 6 systems (or more) from them in the last few years and not a single one has been returned for warranty repairs yet. I also own 2 HP's that have been returned countless times for warranty work! My Sony Vaio was faultless as well, but in all fairness I only owned it for 6 months before selling it - So can't comment long term in regards to reliability.

I would image any i3/i5/i7 laptop, with 3+GB RAM, and a decent 250+GB hard disc, and dedicated graphics will be more than enough for studying for an entire degree course.

P.S. It sounds like your Toshiba needs some maintenance. Have you done the following recently?

1. Defragmented the hard disc?
2. Run disc clean up (click Start > all programs > accessories > system tools > Disc cleanup) ?

I prefer Windows 7 over Vista. My sony viao has lasted at least 5 years without issues but I have installed new hard drive and added more memory to cope with newer software. The i3 should be plenty of speed for most people.

The Dell Vostro's are the business laptops. Go to Dell.com or Dell.co.uk and click on small business, and then head to laptops.

I've always found small business laptops from Dell to be much better value for money, even though I'm a personal customer - At the end of the day you can order business laptops for personal use if you want.

What about the toshiba Satellite models ....I have one and even though I wasn't completly satisfied with it they seem cheaper that both sony and dells and offer the same specifications. Anyone else with toshiba satellite ?

I have toshiba satelite and it runs well. Only had one issue with the power supply brick over heating and causing issue but thats been fixed and its been running rock solid for two years now

What about the toshiba Satellite models ....I have one and even though I wasn't completly satisfied with it they seem cheaper that both sony and dells and offer the same specifications. Anyone else with toshiba satellite ?
I love mine :wave:

Back