Windows 7 Pro Won't Update

techster

When I check for updates. Windows says its checking but just does nothing. It's not accessing the internet. I have tried Microsoft fixit. I have run Microsoft Update Standalone Package. I tried turning off the Firewall and antivirus (MSE) which I ended up uninstalling and now can't reinstall. I tried Microsoft's manual update fix (cmd) lot of steps involved. I tried restoring to an earlier time. I'm about ready to do a Windows 7 repair. I 'd rather not. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Running Windows 7 Pro on an old HP NC6400 Intel core 2 @2 GHz. The only thing I can think of is I force uninstalled a program using Revo Uninstaller. The problem may or may not have started since then. I also reinstalled that program, no change

Thanks. I think I have already tried that. I've tried so many things now I have lost track. So I will try that one again. In the mean time, I painfully reinstalled Windows 7 Pro. It updated to a certain point then stopped also.

Thanks. I think I have already tried that. I've tried so many things now I have lost track. So I will try that one again. In the mean time, I painfully reinstalled Windows 7 Pro. It updated to a certain point then stopped also.
Sorry to have to point out that having the same or similar symptoms after a reinstall is most often diagnostic of a failing motherboard or processor or memory.

If you have access to another PC, you could create a bootable CD with several hardware tests loaded on board. It's all a lot of work though, you might just be happier giving up on it.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1700101/free-hardware-diagnostics-software.html

Last edited:
Sorry to have to point out that having the same or similar symptoms after a reinstall is most often diagnostic of a failing motherboard or processor or memory.

If you have access to another PC, you could create a bootable CD with several hardware tests loaded on board. It's all a lot of work though, you might just be happier giving up on it.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1700101/free-hardware-diagnostics-software.html
I ran wsusoffline. It took a while since it also downloaded and installed the service pack. After that, Windows 7 started updating on its own with no problems. All is good. Thanks

So you are saying that you needed to first reinstall the original version, which failed because it is rather too old. Then on updating to service pack 1, it becomes comparatively current, and the problem is now solved (less all the monthly updates which will all roll in shortly in their dozens).

Am I right ?

I'm not sure exactly. When I reinstalled windows it updated on its own to a certain point. Then it would just hang with no activity. If I rebooted and tried to update it would not even access the internet (through Windows Update). I was still able to connect and browse normally. Finally, I used wsus and manually downloaded all that it told me I needed to. It took a while, but after I did that, Windows Update worked fine. I'm not sure if I actually downloaded Service Pack 1 or not. I remember seeing it on the list but it may have been a check or reference. The downloads went on for more than an hour so maybe I did need Service Pack 1. Bottom line is, my laptop is back up and running as it should. Using wsus seemed very unfamiliar to me. I had my fingers crossed through the whole process.

Back