Windows 7 restarting in 1 minute

Hey guys,

my girls laptop has windows 7 install, about 15-20 seconds after it starts, i get a message that Windows has encountered a critical error and will restart in 1 minute and sure enough it restarts, can anyone tell me what might be the cause?

thanks

Where to start ? This is usually a faulty piece of software installed which is incompatible with your OS (in this case Win7). It could also be malware. Because it happens almost at once, it will probably be something that starts along with windows. You can find many examples on the web. Search for 'critical error restart' and try some of the solutions posted.

Your best approach is start in safe mode, examine the event fault log and if it specifies a particular program, search for that program in the windows start files and disable it. (run->msconfig in XP/vista, not sure if it still there in Win7)

Whew!

Like gbhall said, 'Where to start?'

If it is malware, you may be able to remove it with Trojan Remover, a fully working trial of which can be downloaded here: http://www.simplysup.com/ . Among other things, it will examine all start-ups and alert you to any that are nasty or suspicious.

If your Girls' machine runs long enough to install it, you can do a scan immediately. Be sure to select 'Alert on files not found' in the options menu. If the machine shuts down after successful installation, it will run automatically at re-boot.

I have never tried installing it in safe mode.

Good luck.

As noted by the others, this could be the result of malware. More than likely, in my opinion, however, this is the result hardware or software. If after viewing the event viewer as instructed by gbhall you are unable to locate an error associated with the shut down you will need to be able to access windows in normal mode long enough to set-up a clean boot. To accomplish this you will need to disable auto restart on system failure. Follow these procedures to disable auto restart.

To begin, turn on or restart your PC.

Just before the Windows 7 splash screen appears, or just before your PC automatically restarts, press the F8 key to enter Advanced Boot Options. Scroll down the list using the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard until the option to disable automatic restart is highlighted. Once the option is highlighted press enter. Restart your computer then follow the instructions on the link below to perform a clean boot and diagnose the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If you can boot your system into safe mode, and it stays stable there, there is a chance it is a malware related issue, in that case go to Malware & Virus Removal Forum of TS, and follow their 8-steps, post your logs for analysis and wait for their recommendations/guidance. Regards

Back