Windows 7 Student Download Extraction Issue Notice

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tifc8lraz

OK, I'm making this thread to give people an idea of some issues that have arisen in the downloadable upgrade provided by DigitalRiver.

Many people on 32-bit systems are having issues while running the extracting utility that decompresses the .box files that are extracted in the download for the 64-bit versions of Windows 7 . It gives an error message about not being able to create folders or files.

For the Home Premium version, I attempted an install even though I got this error message and it went flawlessly. The total size of the folder was 3.01Gb (~3,098mb)

I just wanted to let people know that, even though you get this error, there is a chance that the install will work. Just wanted to pass that info on :) .

Exact same problem heres the most useful thing iv seen about it. 4 hours and 38 minutes later..

http://social.answers.microsoft.com.../thread/aedb1245-f8f9-42ec-9a0c-1aa932363bbb/

Downloaded it twice wtf microsoft, I am really pissed off. There are some steps in that link that tell you how to get around it. But I am still just to mad at microsoft to do it right now. What the hell? Really?

xp 32 bit upgrading to premium 64 bit

another one

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/62675a69-2a19-4695-8c8d-8a83be589708

2 different guides I copy pasted

Guide 1

I have the same problem with Digital River order. I have a different workaround though. Instead of creating a bootable ISO you can create a bootable flash drive then dump all the files from "expanded Setup" folder onto the flash drive and install the system from it. I did that and I was able to boot the installation of the OS. Assuming there are no corrupted files in the "expandedSetup" folder I should be able to install the OS without a problem.

Here is how you can create a bootable USB key from Windows Vista (I don't know if this works under XP):
1. Make sure you are running the system as Administrator
2. Open up the run command prompt and type in: diskpart and Press Enter
3. Type: list disk and Press Enter
4. Type: select disk # , where USB key's disk number is #. You should be able to recognize the USB key by the size after typing in list disk. Press Enter
5. Type: clean and Press Enter
6. Type: create partition primary and Press enter
7. Type: select partition 1, then Enter, mark the partition as active by typing: active then Press Enter
8. Type: format fs=fat32 and Press Enter
9. Type: assign and Press Enter
10. Type: exit

This should create you a bootable USB Key. Now copy all the files from "expanded Setup" folder and you should be good to go. Make sure to change your boot order in BIOS to start with the USB drive.

Hope this helps people.

Guide 2

Thank you, puppetworx, for the links. Even with the above mentioned error, I was able to create an ISO, burn it, and install it. I am posting this from within Win 7 Professional, fully activated. To shorten things for you all, here are the exact steps I followed and the circumstances surrounding my install:

1. From within XP 32-bit, I downloaded the 64-bit version of Win7 Professional upgrade.
2. Used the installer to extract the files, but received above mentioned error.
3. Checked the file size of the folder "extendedSetup" and noticed that it was 3.01 GB.
4. Moved extendedSetup folder to root (C:\)
5. Downloaded this file and placed it into C:\WINDOWS\System32: http://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...124-make-bootable-iso-student-d-l-oscdimg.zip
6. Bought up command prompt and typed the following: oscdimg -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\7.iso
7. Burned ISO with ImgBurn (freeware)
8. Booted, installed, and activated

There could very well be something wrong with my install, but everything looks to be in working order. I've been using the beta for a while now and it feels the same. Hopefully this little bit helps some of you out there. :) I'll be up for another hour or so and will gladly help in any way possible.

Guide one did not work for me because I am having some admin issues, but guide 2 seems to be working ill be back and post if it works

Sigh I made the iso but now my dvd burner wont burn anything. Ill attempt to put the iso in my usb flash drive? Hmm that doesnt sound like it will work.

I got the 64 bit Pro, but I don't think I'll have time to try it today. When I do get around to it I'll post if I have any issues.

Incorrect syntax in the command above

The syntax for creating the ISO using oscdimg should be:

oscdimg -bC:\expandedSetup\boot\etfsboot.com -h -u2 -m -lWIN_EN_DVD C:\expandedSetup\ C:\win7.iso

In the above post there's a 1 where there should be an L

I ran into the same issue, used the "guide 2" as in treetops and managerharry's post and that seems to have worked.

My dvd burner is on the frits and my flash drive wont show up in disk list, so ill be waiting either for a fix from microsoft, a torrent I can flash(then enter in my code) or ill buy a new dvd burner.

Windows 7 Student download fiasco result

Well due to Digital River making complete asses of themselves with the **** ups with the Windows 7 Student download.

They are now refunding all students who pre-ordered \o/

just had this email

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking advantage of the Windows 7 Student Offer! We appreciate you as a customer and want you to enjoy Windows 7. We understand you may have experienced an issue with your download immediately following the launch of Windows 7. Because of this, we will be refunding the entire amount of your order. You will see the refund on your credit card statement within 30 days. The software is yours to keep, along with the Backup DVD and/or the Extended Download Service you may have opted to purchase.

We are truly sorry for the delay in receiving your Windows 7 download; please let us know if you have additional questions regarding the download.

To access your download, please log in to your order at the Windows 7 Offer Online Store

You can login using the link you received in the email when you originally registered, or through the means below:

Go to: http://windows7.digitalriver.com/store/mswpuk/DisplayHelpPage

In the “Quick Order Lookup” section, you can log in to your order using either your order number and password, or your email address and the last 5 digits of the credit card used to place the order.

If you made a pre-order, your order number and password are available on the email you received announcing the availability of the download.

Enjoy Windows 7! We hope that Windows 7 simplifies the way you use your PC-and the way your PC connects with the world.

Sincerely,
Customer Support Team - Windows 7 Online Store

I installed it earlier today without a key. Then got to thinking maybe I could just enter my key and activate it right there on the first install, but then I wondered if it wouldn't work because it was a clean install with an upgrade key...

So I went ahead and installed again, launching the install from within Windows, and choose Upgrade. Entered my key, and activated. All is well.

Note: Even if you tell it to activate when online, it doesn't immediately do that. To immediately activate you need to go to the system control panel and click activate now at the bottom.

I didn't get that email, maybe ill get it later. Anyone know if the student download is fixed?

I installed it earlier today without a key. Then got to thinking maybe I could just enter my key and activate it right there on the first install, but then I wondered if it wouldn't work because it was a clean install with an upgrade key...

Upgrade keys are just normal keys, they work on a clean install.

Do not confuse an upgrade key with a 'software upgrade' that requires the original software to be installed.(like a patch)

the key you've paid money for is simply a normal windows 7 key. MS call it an 'upgrade' merely because you already have XP or Vista and are 'upgrading' your system to a new version.

Ok with much trial and error I ended up unplugging my slave drive and running the windows chchdsk repair. Low and behold I now have windows 7 working just fine. Now then the key to booting from a usb drive for me was the program I used to write the iso into the usb flash drive. I used ultraiso, its free trial version and it was the only one that worked, the microsoft one they just released a day ago for win7 did not even work. I am impressed by win7, but at the same time tainted.

By the way I did a clean install however windows 7 gave me the option to keep all my old stuff, it asked if I wanted it to make a folder called windows old. Which was completely awesome.

Upgrade keys are just normal keys, they work on a clean install.

Do not confuse an upgrade key with a 'software upgrade' that requires the original software to be installed.(like a patch)

the key you've paid money for is simply a normal windows 7 key. MS call it an 'upgrade' merely because you already have XP or Vista and are 'upgrading' your system to a new version.

I knew they worked on a clean install, but I remember reading to clean install with an upgrade of Vista you had to install, then upgrade your install for it to activate. In any case, good to know, I've got a friend that bought the same one I did and is also upgrading from VHP32 (to 7Pro 64), and this will save her time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back