Windows 7 upgrade: graphics hardware compliance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyemfedup2

hi guys
I've a simple question
i have a gateway laptop that you guys have helped me allot with and finally worked out all the bugs.
when testing whether or not it will take win 7 its all good but my video card
last i checked you cant upgrade video on gateway laptops
exactly what will it do if i choose to try to install 7 anyway
will i just miss out on some basic visual effects or will it just screw it up all together?
i bought the program and I'm not sure if i can use it
thanks

I'd backup all your data and give it a go
Worst case scenario is your graphics may not be ideal, but we'll get to that when you post back with the results ;)
Anyway, if it ran Vista before it should be ok. If its currently running XP then there could be more driver issues (seeming you're going two OSs up)

OK
I've another laptop that came with 7 and i really don't like the fading and such so its set kinda basic anyway
also i have a dell inspiron ill try it with it also, if not i can reload OS no biggy deal
thanks

I agree its pretty basic stuff, can be a little time consuming but hey, you have Windows 7 :grinthumb (and a few laptops :rolleyes: )

OK
to answer my own question
if all else read
if i understand correctly it probably will effect the heavier visual effects such as the 3d flip feature and such.
i thank you for your reply as it gave me a base to start with to look up about aero.
i wasn't a 7 beta user
after that vista mess (putting it lightly)
i was sworn to keep my xp until they pried it from my cold dead keyboard.
but
having been influenced by people that have went through it all i decided to give 7 a try
and i do love it
so I'm now playing catchup and actually learning on the wing.
ill probably be going wow really cool for another year LOL
please forgive my stupid questions as sometimes its obvious to all but me
but it gives me a stepping stone so to speak
i wish you all a very merry Christmas or a happy holiday, hopefully both
no coal for you guys this year :)

FYI - Not sure what Win7 does with the taskbar without Areo running. By default with the Area "peak" feature it combines all the running instances under one taskbar icon and when you mouse over it shows you a preview of each of the running windows. I like this feature, but just not sure how it will work without Areo or without some of the higher Areo settings enabled.

In any case if you have issues with this you can configure it to not group the tasks and provide a text description to eliminate the need for this.

Also you can disable the User Account Control warnings (when installing or changing system settings) if you really find them annoying. However i suggest you give them a chance as they really function like "root" mode in linux to provide extra security. Once you have your system setup and all your programs installed it is unlikely to bug you again.

thanks
I'm waiting on a motherboard and will use that computer for experimentation
ill definitely post results
and probably ask for more advice
that way we can all play :)
it will be interesting if nothing else
thanks again

windows aero is the "eye candy", the thing that makes windows pretty. the glass, the peek, the shake, the "up" and "down" animation of the windows, being able to see whatsin the window while dragging it.

I could not successfully install win 7 on my latop as it uses a generic driver for the video. There is no win 7 support for older integrated graphics sets and intel does not intend to come out with any. Disappointing as everything else was great about win 7. It's a good os. I did a fresh install of XP and thing are back to ok.

FYI - Not sure what Win7 does with the taskbar without Areo running. By default with the Area "peak" feature it combines all the running instances under one taskbar icon and when you mouse over it shows you a preview of each of the running windows. I like this feature, but just not sure how it will work without Areo or without some of the higher Areo settings enabled.

In any case if you have issues with this you can configure it to not group the tasks and provide a text description to eliminate the need for this.

Also you can disable the User Account Control warnings (when installing or changing system settings) if you really find them annoying. However i suggest you give them a chance as they really function like "root" mode in linux to provide extra security. Once you have your system setup and all your programs installed it is unlikely to bug you again.

Likes old style under XP little more advanced though. Same goes for the task bar if no Aero Glass is triggered. If you have less than 128MB of RAM this is what's going to happen. Even on 64MB for the GPU. You need min 128MB RAM to get the Aero Glass to function with all the task and etc new views.

I could not successfully install win 7 on my latop as it uses a generic driver for the video. There is no win 7 support for older integrated graphics sets and intel does not intend to come out with any. Disappointing as everything else was great about win 7. It's a good os. I did a fresh install of XP and thing are back to ok.

What are the specs for your laptop core?

ATI Mobile Chips AGP 2x are supported on older Dell Latitudes. They can run Windows 7 but in non-Aero glass environment

What are the specs for your laptop core?

ATI Mobile Chips AGP 2x are supported on older Dell Latitudes. They can run Windows 7 but in non-Aero glass environment
yes and no. Win7 will install a generic driver, but you cannot run in higher resolutions or opengl. It's pretty pointless.

yes and no. Win7 will install a generic driver, but you cannot run in higher resolutions or opengl. It's pretty pointless.

is there any way to get around disabling Aero?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back