Windows 7 won't start. Status: 0xc000000e. Windows failed to start. A recent hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaMaluJordan

I get this error message when I try to star up my computer.

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info: The selected entry could not he loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I tried following those steps to fix the problem, but nothing worked. Startup repair didn't work. I had one system restore point, but that doesn't work either. I'm not sure what to do. Can someone please help me? Thank you!

Also, I don't want to reformat my computer or start new or anything. I have too many important files on my hard drive that haven't been backed up yet.

You haven't yet told us the brand, model, age or configuration, so it is not likely we can come up with some suggestions.
However, it is likely a hard drive glitch, or a software failure.
Save your data to another computer using a USB external drive, or put it in another computer as a slave, so you can save the data before you get too far along.

I fixed the problem with a whole bunch of random commands that I entered into the command prompt. I'm curious of something though. You told me to transfer my files to a USB external device. How would I be able to do that if I can't access my desktop or "My Computer" or anything? If there is a way, that would certainly help me a lot in the future.

You actually misread raybay's advice. It's not save data/files to a USB external device but using a USB external device. In other words take the hard drive and put it into an external USB enclosure and access the files that way.

I'm not exactly sure what that means. What's an external USB enclosure? To me, it sounds like a case for the hard drive, but that doesn't make sense to me. So, I'm assuming that I'm wrong in guessing that.

It is a case to hold another drive, which you install easily with four screws. The enclosures cost between $11 and $40 depending on brand and model... I use Vantec Nextar3 or Acomdata... but there are many brands and models. You then format the drive on another computer, and use it as another hard drive in a number of ways. You may need to do some reading or get back to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back