Windows 8.1 slow startup, Windows Defender high memory

rtcwlomax

Hi, as the title says my Lenovo Z50 i7 laptop can take 15 - 20 mins to start and sometimes get hung up with Window Defender using 100% memory. I've tried updating Defender but issue persists. I run Spybot also. Any ideas how to find the root cause of the problem?

Thanks

The laptop has an impressive spec but you should have moved to Windows 10 years ago. I don't think it will ever run W11. It would be a big mistake to upgrade the OS until you solve the existing problem.

My suggestion is to uninstall Spybot and see how things run with Windows Defender on its own. Microsoft security is adequate for most people though it's handy to have other software to hand in case of doubts. I like the Eset online scanner (freeware) for occasional use.

If changing the security arrangements doesn't speed things up considerably the hard drive may be nearing the end of its life. Make sure you have stuff backed up elsewhere and run some tests on the hard drive. Replacing the hybrid hard drive with a pure SSD is likely worthwhile anyway. It's been working hard for maybe 8 years now.

Has it been cleaned out and the heat paste replaced because laptops do need regular servicing? Overheating will slow things down and the laptop will eventually fail to boot up. Your computer shop can check your laptop usually at a reasonable price. It's the best way unless you are confident that you can DIY without breaking something.

Thanks for the reply. I have disabled Spybot and will see how it goes. Part of the problem seems to be when AWS backup is running through CloudBerry.

At the time I seen other people having problems upgrading to W10 and having to revert back to 8.1 so I decided not to bother.

Its been a good machine and owes me nothing. Third keyboard (spillages) and second power adaptor is all that's been needed to keep it running daily for 7/8 years. I might open it up and give a clean to see if that helps.

It's likely that you have found the problem. Maybe there is a better Cloud solution. You tend to get what you pay for with everything.

Back