Windows 8.1 Update goes live, download required for 8.1 users to receive patches beyond May 13

Jos

Staff

As expected, Microsoft has flipped the switch on the first major update to Windows 8.1, bringing a series of changes and tweaks designed to improve the operating system’s non-touch experience for mouse and keyboard users.

The update, which arrives as part of April’s Patch Tuesday, is formally known as Windows 8.1 Update (previously Update 1 or Spring Update) and will be mandatory to all Windows 8.1 users. In fact, those that decline the update won’t receive any further patches beyond May 13, 2014.

So, Windows 8.1 RTM has essentially reached End-of-Life early and Windows 8.1 Update is the new servicing baseline for Windows 8.1 -- Windows 8 will still get security updates. The reason behind the move is unclear but enterprise customers in the midst of a Windows 8.1 rollout will need to get busy.

In any case keyboard and mouse users will likely want to get this update as soon as possible. Among the changes, Windows is finally becoming contextually aware, meaning if you are on a PC without a touchscreen it will now boot directly to the desktop by default, while touch-enabled laptop or tablets will boot to Metro. Users can still manually configure this too.

Microsoft is also making the default program for pictures and audio files relevant to the device they are being opened on. Whereas it used to be that these files were associated with the Metro-style Photo and Music apps (a big annoyance), pictures and audio files now open by default in the Windows Photo Viewer or Windows Media Player if opened from a non-touch PC.

The update will bring dedicated power and search buttons to the Start screen, new right-click context menus for desktop users, and the ability to pin Modern apps to the taskbar. Inside Modern apps, you'll now find a title bar and the taskbar if you hover your mouse to either the top or bottom of the screen, making it easier to switch between and close Modern apps.

Once again these changes will only be apparent, or enabled by default, on PCs.

You can grab the latest bits from Windows Update as usual or download it directly from right here. Windows 8.1 Update arrives on the same day Microsoft is bidding adieu to Windows XP support with one final round of security patches.

Permalink to story.

Good to see they're fixing the mess they made initially. I will probably skip directly to Windows 9 which should fix the remaning problems and build upon all the fixes and experience from 8.

It's unreal how badly MS stepped all over themselves with Windows 8. All they had to do is during install, offer a Windows 7'ish type UI or the Metro UI. THAT'S IT. And everyone would have been happy.

Instead, they took the "we know what's good for you, we're going to cram it down your throat and you're going to like it" approach.

Crazy.

I use Windows 8.1 (with a Win 7 UI emulator) and looking forward to checking out this later update. I'd just as soon do without the emulator.

It will be when they release the start menu and the windowed metro apps when they at last fix windows 8. Balmer can put his full screen apps and menus right there with his fear for android and IOS.

It will be when they release the start menu and the windowed metro apps when they at last fix windows 8. Balmer can put his full screen apps and menus right there with his fear for android and IOS.

I am very confused. What is the purpose of pinning Metro apps to the desktop. Let me ask an even more general question. What is the purpose of running 'apps', that is to say, applications designed for tablets, on a desktop.....at all? If we can all agree(and I think we can) that a desktop application will always be more powerful and more productive(I.e., full keyboard and mouse support) over an "app" what's the purpose of launching 'apps' on a desktop computer...at all? It boggles the human brain. If metro apps keep morphing...update by incremental update...into desktop applications....how will they continue to be any different from a regular desktop application?

Have we not already established that 'most normal people' don't give a frogs fat *** about using touch on a desktop all day long? I am not sure where Microsoft is going with their Frakenstein creation and I don't think they even know what the hell they are trying to accomplish.

I guess it's a trick to overcome the abysmal adoption rate of Windows 8 by catering to a segment of people who have straight up rejected a touch-only interface on a desktop platform. I don't think they have any clear vision at all. Other than throwing desktop users a few bones to calm the storm and hoping that's enough to win them back.

Last edited:
It's kind of like closing the gate after the horse has bolted but at least they're attempting to clean up their mess although they're probably a day late and a buck short. If you haven't got Win 8 by now, wait until their next OS release, hopefully they won't be making the same blunders.

I still like Start8 menu better than this new Windows native one. Start8 menu is a better looking one and has lots of options in it. For anyone who is already using it, it is unlikely they will want to change to the new dumb-looking Windows 8.1 menu.

I guess it's a trick to overcome the abysmal adoption rate of Windows 8 by catering to a segment of people who have straight up rejected a touch-only interface on a desktop platform. I don't think they have any clear vision at all. Other than throwing desktop users a few bones to calm the storm and hoping that's enough to win them back.

I have always though that it is just their way to "force" and getting us used to their windows 8 movile interface. MS must be very scare of android and ios adoption, just counting how many smartphones and tablets has those SOs, they must think that they are just a couple of years from losing their supremacy, so, balmert must had said, lets release a "relative" cheap windows 8 with the metroui so people start to like more to see the windows 8 movile interface. (sorry for the english)

That is the only way I can think how they force on us their full screen menu and apps, it has absolutely no logic.

Also, a software company buying nokia?

Why is Bing Bar part of Windows update? I'd take MS a little bit more serious if they got out of the "toolbar" business.

I'm disappointed Microsoft didn't bring aero back in 8.1. Guess I'll have to wait for version 9.

Odd set of updates.
I downloaded all the small-sized updates via windows updates leaving the ~890mb 'windows8.1-kb2919355-x64', restarted the computer.
then I downloaded manually (for the purpose of saving bandwidth for my 3 windows 8.1 computers) kb 2919355 x64 and got a 690 mb file (707363 kb) which I installed.
after the required restart, windows updates show another kb 2919355 x64 but with much less size, about 19mb, if I'm not mistaken.
Installation done with no error. no other windows updates are found after the restart.

Just exactly how should I view this, "You have one month to update, or we don't care if you are secure or not!"?

Microsoft doesn't seem to care how little they value public relations. I'm not gonna ride this roller coaster. I will stick with Windows 7 and if MS hasn't come to their senses by the time I need to move on, it will be to late for MS to mend a burning bridge.

Make sure your system will run 8.1. If your hardware does not support
PAE, NX, and SSE2 it will not run 8.1.

Every modern processor supports that...
I guess it depends on how you define 'modern'. I have 2 machines built in the last 5 years which do not appear to 'modern' enough. Of course, I do budget builds, so the components were on sale at NewEgg.

I guess it depends on how you define 'modern'. I have 2 machines built in the last 5 years which do not appear to 'modern' enough. Of course, I do budget builds, so the components were on sale at NewEgg.
I doubt they will make Windows OS which supports only newer processors. By modern I think of CPUs like Intel I series, AMD equivalents, maybe a bit older ones too. PAE is needed for 32bit processors while most of the CPUs today are 64bit. NX bit is supported by CPUs from around 2004 if I'm not mistaken. SS2 as I remember was supported by AMD Athlon 3000+ which I had about 7 years ago. So I would probably say that your machines support those functions.

Back