Windows 8 editions revealed: Two retail, one for ARM, one for enterprise

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Confirming previous rumors about simplified SKUs, Microsoft has announced that its latest operating system will come in three consumer flavors: Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro and Windows RT (stands for runtime). The first two will be available at retail, while the third will only be preinstalled on ARM-based devices. This has been reduced from four retail editions of Windows Vista and three for Windows 7.

All three have the same core features and the average user would likely have a tough time telling them apart. "Windows 8" is intended as the base offering and it seems analogous to previous "Home" editions. It has virtually all the upgrades we've discussed, like the updated Task Manager and Windows Explorer, better multi-monitor support, Sky Drive integration, improved power efficiency and more.

"Windows 8 Pro" has some extra perks meant for tech enthusiasts and professionals, such as access to BitLocker and BitLocker To Go, Client Hyper-V, Group Policy controls, as well as the ability to host via Remote Desktop and boot from VHD. Again, nothing the average user is likely to need, though it's worth noting that the Pro edition is required to upgrade from Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate.

"Windows RT" (also known as Windows on ARM or WOA) won't be available as a standalone retail OS and since it's mostly geared toward tablets, Microsoft made some mobile-oriented tweaks. Most notably, the company mentions touch-optimized desktop versions of Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote. It also gains device encryption, but loses Windows Media Player.

Outside consumer offerings, there will be an Enterprise edition that contains everything in Windows 8 Pro with added features for IT organization that "enable PC management and deployment, advanced security, virtualization, new mobility scenarios, and much more." Pricing hasn't been shared yet, but we'd be surprised to see a significant deviation from previous rates. The full feature chart is below:

Feature name Windows 8 Windows 8 Pro Windows RT
Upgrades from Windows 7 Starter,
Home Basic, Home Premium

x

x

Upgrades from Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate   x  
Start screen, Semantic Zoom, Live Tiles x x x
Windows Store x x x
Apps (Mail, Calendar, People, Messaging,
Photos, SkyDrive, Reader, Music, Video)
x x x
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, OneNote)
    x
Internet Explorer 10 x x x
Device encryption     x
Connected standby x x x
Microsoft account x x x
Desktop x x x
Installation of x86/64
and desktop software
x x  
Updated Windows Explorer x x x
Windows Defender x x x
SmartScreen x x x
Windows Update x x x
Enhanced Task Manager x x x
Switch languages on the fly
(Language Packs)
x x x
Better multiple monitor support x x x
Storage Spaces x x  
Windows Media Player x x  
Exchange ActiveSync x x x
File history x x x
ISO / VHD mount x x x
Mobile broadband features x x x
Picture password x x x
Play To x x x
Remote Desktop (client) x x x
Reset and refresh your PC x x x
Snap x x x
Touch and Thumb keyboard x x x
Trusted boot x x x
VPN client x x x
BitLocker and BitLocker To Go   x  
Boot from VHD   x  
Client Hyper-V   x  
Domain Join   x  
Encrypting File System   x  
Group Policy   x  
Remote Desktop (host)   x  

Permalink to story.

Going to laugh when Windows 8 tablets eclipse iPad sales within 1 year.

Heh, I figured they would not go overboard with the versions. Aaaaaand that's why you don't believe rumors people ;)

Going to be an interesting launch for both desktop and tablet...

So many people bashed MS for so many windows versions, it's surprising those same people aren't rejoicing in this thread. ....Actually, no it's not.

i won't get it till they bring back start menu like windows 7 classic mode i like the feel of classic feel more than this new crap even windows 7 i set it to classic mode i expect cause windows is forcing everyone to use this new start page most people will not buy it and it will be another vista, windows me flap. MS exec's if something works and people like it don't mess with it. start page would fine if it was only for mobile like android computers but it not for the everyday or gamers or IT workers using notebooks and desktops and lot of us don't want to learn something new to access are files that why im going keep using windows 7 till ms exec make a change or i await the next ver of windows that has it back in there.

I'll probably wait for Windows 9. I do hope they bring back a "classic" mode. Still, it's nice to see fewer versions.

Going to laugh when Windows 8 tablets eclipse iPad sales within 1 year.

It isn't about ipad, IMO if MS get things right, it may closes the door on android in tablet market, leaving MS and Apple to fight it out.

For tablets, Metro seems somewhat better than Aero. But as we've already concluded here in another discussion, Win8 on the desktop seems imponderable unless MS cedes to the enthusiasts' demands/suggestions.

Having downloaded the consumer trial version of Windows 8 all I can say is whilst it may be a fantastic phone and tablet OS, for the desktop application it is total and utter crap. It just is not going to work. Trying to find your way around the interface is just ridiculous how it is set up. Regardless of what anyone says phones and tablets and desktops are totally different beasts. There is absolutely no way on this earth I would use that on my desktop, I would go Linux first or remain with Windows 7.

I'd very much like a "NM" edition... "NM" standing for NO METRO edition.

M$, wake up... You're losing like at least ONE THIRD of the sales pushing the crappy metro interface on us...

I think were kinda missing the point... Windows 8 is something new and interesting from MS, something they have not tried to do since the first release of Windows. Why is everyone bashing Metro, when they don't even have to use it. While the start button might be gone its not like its the end of the world, I'm fine without it on my Mac, its not like Ms is a group of *****s, there is a good reason in the interface for them to remove it. Also i don't think that Ms's objective is directly contesting Apple, Android proved that that would be a great failure. It seems like everyone is treating this like another apple (no pun intended) when its an orange.

I'll pick up Windows 8 for sure, and sometime in 2013 probably get a tablet. The new start screen is straight up not amazing for desktop users, but it's also really not a hinderance. I found Win 8 very easy to get used to. It looks different, but the functionality is really the same. Most of my daily apps are pinned to the task bar anyway, which is still available in Win 8.

Sad. I was w8ng for Win 8 tablet so that I can say goodbye to windows laptop and transfer my working to a tablet. But since Win 8 tablets wont support desktop software, I guess I shud stop w8ng and go for Note 10.1

I think it would be cool to have Windows 8 ARM available for purchase. That could open up another front in the ultra low power home PC market. Via C-processors and Intel Atoms already have their place in some HTPCs or at least Windows Home Server PCs.

Although I suppose there are 2 major things dampening this; 1, driver support (real important if you are going to use it as a HTPC) and 2, education - I bet a lot of people would purchase the ARM version for their 64bit PC and throw a fit when it didn't work.

From what I understood initially, only legacy desktop software (x86 versions) were going to be incompatible with the tablet version of Windows 8, but any Win8 software would work on any Win8 platform. Is this something that they changed, and now absolutely no desktop software will run on the tablet version? If so, that's a mighty stupid move on the part of MS...

Yeah but the real question on everyones mine is how much for the version with the start menu included? All these other versions seem pointless...

i don't really get it why people bash windows 8 for the metro interface and the lack of a start menu when OS stability should be the primary focus.

windows 8 boots faster and is more secure than ever.

to windows 8 bashers, go back to your windows 95/98/2000/me/xp interface.

^ Guest - register and come to the main forums. We have a big discussion on Win 8 in the Windows OS forum. I'm one of the Win 8 supporters here. The benefits 8 brings over 7 and Vista outweigh the few seconds it takes to understand the new Start menu/metro interface. In breif - everything that you install that would have made a start menu entry also makes something in Metro, but in metro you see lots at once without many submenus to go through. That is good. If you have more crap than you can fit on your 22"+ widescreen metro interface then you are also going to have issues with the traditional start menu. If that is true, then you have developed workarounds/shortcuts - those same workarounds/shortcuts still work in Win 8.

i don't really get it why people bash windows 8 for the metro interface and the lack of a start menu when OS stability should be the primary focus.

windows 8 boots faster and is more secure than ever.

to windows 8 bashers, go back to your windows 95/98/2000/me/xp interface.

What's the first thing you encounter when using a Windows computer? The interface. The 95 and onwards style works really well and it is well liked. When it is completely changed and dumbed down and unintuitive on a desktop it fails. Windows 7 is stable and secure.

Unintuitive? Like seeing a screen full of a ton of apps that you use and then being able to open them with one click? That kind of unintuitiveness?

I have to side with SNGX1275 on the "unintuitive" comment there... For a new user, there is absolutely nothing more unintuitive than forcing someone to go click a start button, slog through a bunch of entries, and hunt for the program you want buried in folders there.

Keep in mind, Win8 is also aiming to grab some of the newer and less tech savvy crowds that gadgets like smartphones and iPad-like devices have brought into the marketplace. In that arena, the Metro interface is a nice option to make things more "single click" like the smart appliances people are using every day. Microsoft sort of assumes they will keep the majority of their current users, who can learn to adapt. It's the users that are new that they want to woo with slick features.

Back