Windows 8 machine - USB ports stopped working

monton

Greetings folks

I have a friend's computer, HP Pavilion 500 with Windows 8, that the wired mouse stopped responding. I put the mouse in another computer and it worked fine. I then discovered that the keyboard, also wired, was unresponsive. I've used all the USB ports and nothing happens and nothing is recognized. It makes it impossible to troubleshoot since I can't access anything. I've plugged into all ports remote and on the motherboard.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

I didn't have it when it stopped working. I've ordered a pci usb card to try. A $17 experiment.
None of the ports work. The "remote" ports on the front of the case nor the ports on the motherboard. I can't get into windows at all to reload drivers or to check with device manager for any error messages. Will update post after installing the usb card Friday. Thanks!

Unplug/plug all your power supplies once again to make sure this isn't caused by the power issue. Also has this issue been caused after any kind of Windows driver update? Drivers may not be updated to work with the windows version. If that’s the case, you can resolve the problem by updating the drivers.

Back