Windows 98se not getting on internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a network, but this is not a network issue, because the problem computer remains on the network just fine. This computer won't work on the internet. IE gives an error... you know, it wants to know if you want to report it. Firefox just acts like the internet isn't on. I tried reinstalling that, but it still does not work. Trillian also isn't working.

This same computer had the OS reinstalled in the last few days and this is when the problem began.

I am trying to think if there is any other pertinent info. Any suggestions are appreciated.

This same computer had the OS reinstalled in the last few days

All drivers loaded?

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click the System icon.
3. Click the Device Manager tab.

Confirm all loaded Ok

Thank you very much for answering so quickly! I did as you advised, and all are loaded, except an old digital camera, which we do not have/use anymore.

Remove the old digital camera (may be conflicting)

Sounds like this may be a USB 1.1 issue that Windows 98 users didn't report much.

Most new USB devices use USB 2 and minimum XpSP2 (ie update required)
Windows 98 systems had many USB issues

I suppose you could purchase a USB 2 PCI (pluggin) card for Windows 98 (ebay?)

You could also try removing all the USB drivers in Device manager and reload them.
This can be faulty internal Power Supply too

If you go to Tools -> Internet Options? in IE do you have it set to use the LAN to get to the internet? It has been a long time since 98, but I thought there was some sort of Wizard you could run to get the internet working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back