Windows black screen error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a problem with my PC. The pc loads up past the motherboard company loading name, but just before the Windows Xp loading screen comes up it goes to a black screen and the hard drive doesn't load nor does Windows. I can't get into safe mode, and i tried to reboot from cd but as i do this it goes to the same black screen just before windows loads and nothing happens. No hard drive loading. Has my harddrive gone. I have no monitor problems

I tried installin ubuntu, but half way through installing the pc just switches off, monitor is still on.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds like you have a broken part. When you try to install Ubuntu and the computer crashes, that suggests that one of the pieces that comprises your computer is broken. If you had installed Ubuntu and everything was fine then I would have guessed that Windows is missing startup files, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm just guessing, but I think your hard drive is mostly dead or your memory is going bad. The easiest thing to do is to experiment with with your memory if you have a dual channel set. If you have two memory DIMMs then take out one of them and see if your computer boots. If it boots then you know that the memory module you just took out should be replaced. If your computer still doesn't boot then try replacing the first memory DIMM with the second memory DIMM you just took out of your computer, and try booting again. If you only have one memory DIMM then you can't do this test as your computer will not boot without memory installed. If you have a spare hard drive then switch the old hard drive out with the spare and try installing Ubuntu or Windows again. If either installation works then you know the hard drive was probably at fault.

Cheers mate, i suspected it was the hard drive, it isn't the memory because i've tried several sticks in all the slots. Someone told me it could be the PSU but i don't see how? Hopefully it's the harddrive as its less hassle to take out and put a new one. I'll test it out asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back