Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeyfly

Ok, i've never had this problem before but i got home today and switched my computer on only to fiind this error. I've tried rebooting to no avail.

I've have looked on the net and found the repair solution. I put my XP disc in but I have no idea how to boot from it so i am able to do this repair. I put the disc in but it doesn't do anything. It just boots up as far as this error message.

I can boot up my Windows 98 but not XP. However, everything is on my XP so i don't use 98 anymore.

What can i do?

The first thing I'd do in this situation would be to check if the hard disk boot order is correct in BIOS. My Asus board changes the order sometimes if I have to turn it off (as I don't have a reset button). Maybe you have two drives and now it boots using the 98 one instead of XP's drive?

Anyway, if you can get to the recovery console, you can type

bootcfg /rebuild

to create a new boot configuration. It searches the drives for usable Windows installations and prompts you to enter boot parameters for them (I think it's /fastdetect by default).

Well i have a dual boot system.

I kept getting errors when i accessed the recovery console. When i log into 98 i also can't view Hard Drive D which windows XP is installed on.

I think maybe my Hard Drive has kicked the bucket or something.

OK.

I came home today and now my computer is booting. I staright awya backed up any importanyt stuff on to my Drive C.

Hopefully, this problem wont occur again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back