Windows does not boot after install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenchiroz

Hi all i recently bought a new computer here are the specs

Asus M2a-vm hdmi
2.6ghz Dual core AMD processor
2 gb of crosair ram dual channel

I've set everything up to work but the motherboard only comes with on data cable slot, so i used the master for the dvd writer and the slave for the seagate 110gb HDD now onto the problem.

After i install windows i go through my normal back up reinstall most programs copy iso's and what not, but when i turn my computer off through power off and then back on i get a disk read error and i need to insert my system disk and restart the computer. Also when i installed windows i used one cd to start the installation and the other to install it this is because the first disk couldn't copy a certain file, this is all i know so far of my problem so it would be great if anyone can provide some insight thank ya!

Eh, I could be wrong on this but I can't imagine it's wise to slave the primary HDD to your optical drive. You might want to consider buying a PCI ATA controller or a SATA HDD.

I wouldn't start troubleshooting the drive until you've taken care of that first.

when i installed windows i used one cd to start the installation and the other to install it
That's strange, did you use an original Windows install CD (obviously not)
And is this Windows genuine. (This question is very important)

Regarding the Slave, I agree with Zenosincks.
You should put the Hard Drive on its own data cable
And the CD/DVD on another
And set both to Cable Select (if ATA)

It could simply be that your BIOS boot sequence is not properly set & only looks to boot on the optical drive.

Yes my windows is genuiine i just have a problem with the cds, i'm validated and all that, so do you think if i set my HDD to primary instead of slave then it should work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back