Windows Explorer crashes, keyboard fails to work right.

My computer is about 2.5 years old and a midrange gaming machine. I admit I do not remember the specifics but it was Verrrry nice. It runs Windows XP Pro and up until now I've had few problems with it. I baby the thing practically.

Last night after 2 months in storage, a 12 hour car ride and then a 12 hour warm up from the cold I turned it on. it worked fine, yay! So I start getting updates. First AVG, which kept giving me LOTS of errors until I turned it off, as it ran its' scan and said nothing was wrong.

Then I went and got my WoW updates, which is when things went wrong.

The machine was acting up so I rebooted it... and now It keeps on saying Windows Explorer must close. You will loose stuff' etc. EVERY time.

I try to boot into safe mode, but when I get to that screen its lke it stops recognising the keyboard. I know the keyboard works cause I'm using it now with my netbook, it worked WITH the broken PC last night. I tried all three USB ports on the computer and used a second keyboard too that I know works as well.

So i can't get into safe mode. joy. i /can/ get into BIOS though, so I go ina nd try to Boot from my windows CD.

Only I have to PRESS ANY KEYTO CONTINUE.

And the keyboard stops responding then.

I do not know if the KB works AFTER windows loads as all I can do is click 'ok' on the button for the Windows Explorer crashed.

So I cant Boot to CD, I can't go into safe mode, and I cant even use xprss recover because THAT wants me to 'press any key' as well.

What do I do?? Is my hard drive permanently disabled? A friend thinks the MOBO is overheating and shutting off the keyboard to save power or something. But I dont know. I searched the internet but it doesnt help at all.

Please help. I'm in tears. Even if I can't get WoW working and I have to reformat I want to get my computer running!

Update: on my dad's suggestion I went into BIOS and restored to factory settings

After getting a BSOD that sadily rebooted before I could READ it, it went and did the same thing, though I did notice that once I was 'into' windowws (and it subsequently crashes Windows Explorer) I once again had keyboard control.

It seems I lose Keyboard JUST for that infuriatingly necessary part of the process when I need to press any key

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Back