Windows file system32\config\system missing or corrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.

azcav

First things first. I can't load into windows AT ALL so a Safe Mode repair isn't an option. I've run a chkdsk /r on the computer, and it says it found and fixed errors, but upon reboot I get the Windows file system32\config\system missing or corrupted still. I've been up and down checking off numerous different options and can't find a good fix.... because perhaps, there isn't one?

ouch.

you will need a bootable CD
  • and access to the command prompt
  • or perform a Repair Install
the first is much preferred.

if you can get to the command prompt, the the sequence is like this
  1. copy repair files into \windows\system32\config
    copy C:\WINDOWS\repair\*.* c:\windows\system32\config\
  2. then reboot safe mode
  3. and run C:\Windows\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe and get your last System Restore Point

From the bootable CD itself and that depends upon which/what kind of CD you get.

Man alive, I think this is getting far and beyond worth the time to fix it myself unfortunately... thank you for your time and advice nonetheless jobeard. Much obliged!

there is a way to fix it if, like jobeard said, you have the installation CD.. If you have the CD and are willing to take the time I can step you through fixing it, it isn't too difficult I do this quite frequently. Send a reply if you want to continue.

UPDATE:

So from sheer tenacity and stubborness... ok and boredom, and I said what the hell, and for the third time completed a chkdsk /r on the drive. As of right now, miraculously, Windows booted and is running correctly.

The first 2 completed chkdsk /r each said 'chkdsk found and fixed one or more errors on the drive'. The third chkdsk /r said the same thing... only for some reason it worked out the kinks and we're up and running. Seems very peculiar to me, but what do I know. Thought I would share. If I continue to have problems, which I wouldn't be surprised if I do... haven't yet done an official proper restart, I'll be back. Either way, thanks a mil'.

Good to hear, sometimes multiple check discs do help, as each time it fixes a little more, sometimes it's good to hook it up to a computer with the same operating system and boot up with the hard drive as a slave (The one that's having problems) and run a check disc from windows on the working machine, but glad to hear it is working.

Thanks. I will say that Windows does operate after the restart and nothing appears to be missing or lost so that's good. I will say though it does take a noticeably long time for Windows to completely boot. Over 5 mintues, but all things considered, I can live with that. Thanks again.

delete all MAPPED Drives you access from the problem computer.

turn OFF Filesharing and reboot

now reenable FS as necessary and remap the drives you need.

we're getting out of my realm of expertise... if you can call anything I know expertise. I'm not at all familiar with Mapped Drives. What they are, how to create them, and how to delete them. Is that why I am having a slow reboot?

A mapped drive is the final evidence of File Sharing. If you don't have multiple systems
or if you don't use File Sharing, then you can ignore the issue.

The boot process will attempt to reaccess any existing Mapped Drives to other systems,
and if those systems are not available on the network, you suffer a timeout, thus slowing down the boot time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back