Windows Freezes at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with my Windows XP.

During the startup screen of windows xp, the loading bar freezes.

When I go to safe mode, it says "Press Esc to cancel STPD.SYS" then after a matter of seconds, it freezes.

Help: I can format Windows, but I have crucial files to backup.

Thanks

hook it up as a slave to get your files.. thats all i can think of atm, but its late and im tired. ALSO, i had a similar problem, what i did was reformatted my Harddrive, REMOVED ALL THE THINGS PLUGGED INTO PCI PORTS, then reinstalled XP, and the things in the slots, one at a time, also, remove and re-inserting the ram i did.. not sure what fixed it, but thats what i did and now its working good again... (mke sure you can re-install the drivers first though, otherwise you run into problems)

Hi,

To recover your files, the easiest thing is to hook the harddrive to another computer or boot from another harddisk (if you can) and then copy the files, as Klaymore says.
You could also download a bootdisk and copy the files from within dos, there are tons around but I usually go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ to get my bootdisks and boot utilities.

I had a quick search on STPD.SYS and seems to be part of either deamon tools or Alcohol, so I am kind of surprised that it would be loaded as part of Safe-mode.
As you cant get into to safe-mode I dont have any ideas unfortunately how to actually get your windows to load, but I am sure some of the brighter and smarter people here will have some good ideas.

I actually have a boot issue at the moment but it is quite different so I am not going to hijack your post and I will post it separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back