Windows has a black screen

So, I was at a website called tv duck watching tv shows when i kept getting pop ups that seemed like it was trying to install something on my computer. After declining to install whatever it was several times I received a message stating that windows explorer failed. at this point I could still see the desk top but I could not see the windows start bar or any icons on the desktop. when I restarted my computer windows loaded all the way up to the windows menu. When I select the windows menu to log into windows a black screen is the only thing that shows up. I am still able to use the task manager and after researching the problem online it seems that the problem might be with explorer.exe and most of the websites I've gone to say the problem stems from a virus. I tried the following things to fix the problem:
-I've tried typing explorer.exe into the command prompt. and it says: "windows cannot find explorer.exe please make sure you typed the name in right"
-I've tried running the computer in safe mode and get the same black screen
-i've tried loading windows to an earlier configuration and still get the black screen

Essentially I am trying to see if I can fix the problem without losing all my files and programs installed onto my computer. Also, I have Windows 7

Thanks for your time.

You may find comfort in first backing up your files/folders before continuing to fix the problem

See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

But be cautious. If the problem turns out to be malware, you need be careful before connecting the backup device to another computer so the malware doesn't "leap frog" betweeen machines

Back