Windows installer, patch open Outlook 2007

Hi Tec-heros,

Could you share your advice as to what to do next?

I have tried to reinstall HP software which apparently has corrupted my registry.

This is the full error message received when windows installer is activated when trying to open Outlook 2007

"This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vender to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package"

Not sure how to verify this patch, or correct the situation. I am running Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

David

Hi Tec-heros,

I have tried to reinstall HP software which apparently has corrupted my registry.
Please clarify whether the software is HP's "System Software" for a laptop/desktop or other software(driver?) for an HP peripheral, like a printer?
In any event, you can safely run this utility, found on HP's website, double-checking that it applies to your OS:
HP registry security settings repair utility: AccessDeniedUtility_1_3_4.exe
Original File Name: HpRegSecFix.EXE

Another HP utility for install/uninstall issues is here:
Utility to fix HP upgrade/uninstall issues: Resolves Fatal Error during software install
Original File Name: FixErr1714.EXE

This is the full error message received when windows installer is activated when trying to open Outlook 2007

"This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vender to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package" David

-- Do you think the HP problem caused the Outlook problem?
-- Precisely what "patch package" are you trying to apply. Is it for Office/Outlook?
This error may be caused simply by a corrupted download. Re-download and try again, making sure to run the patch "As Administrator".

In general, with MS Office/Outlook 2007, you see that dialog upon first-run OR when the installation has been corrupted since. Try opening any Office product, click on the logo in the upper-left corner, choose "Word-Excel-etc. Options" , click Resources and, finally, click "run Microsoft Office Diagnostics" Let the Tool do its thing.

P.S. Since this is Techspot Tech-Heros' Take the Tights to the Tailor Tuesday, I hope this helps 'til they get back.

outllook 7 patch?

Thanks for your reply.

I was able to get the HP software issue resolved, with the help of this link
h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00836418&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=3635376&prodTypeId=18972&docLang=en
My remaining issue is how to repair my Outlook 2007 on my Windows XP. It has been running for years well, but after the Hp incident, wont start up.

Here's the blow by blow situation
1 start Outlook 7
2 Immediately, Microsoft Office Outlook screen appears saying that it has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience-then asks if it should restart Microsoft office outlook.
3 if I say yes, I get a screen that asks if I want to start in Safe mode?
4 saying yes, the next screen is "outlook failed in safe mode. Do you want to start detect and repair? (not starting in safe mode also leads to a similar question (sans safe mode)
5 it will try to detect and repair for a few seconds, then Windows Installer shows this screen:

This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vender to verify that this is a valid windows installer patch package. It does not give an error number, so cant tell yet which patch package it is trying to open.

Thanks also for the suggestion of running Office diagnostic tool. I did run it and it says it found an error and repaired, but unfortunately, it did not address this issue, as the problem above remains...

Other ideas?

Yes.

1. Per the HP link you referenced, be sure to have returned msconfig to Normal Startup.

2. Via Add/Remove Programs, make sure your Windows Installer is Version 4.5, as here: support.microsoft.com/kb/942288

3. Do a basic System's File Check (SFC) to attempt repair of any damaged Windows files: Start> All Programs> Accessories and right-click Command Prompt
type sfc /scannow and press Enter . You may require a Windows XP installation disk to replace any damaged or missing files. The utility will let you know.

3a. Go to Start> Control Panel> Administrative Tools and click Services. Scroll down and set Office Source Engine to Automatic start. Reboot and try Outlook again. If no joy, then:

4. Try to reinstall Office using the Repair option in Add/Remove Programs.
Note: This will only work if you have not deleted Office's setup files. You can check whether they are still on your hard drive by looking in Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools and clicking Disk Cleanup. Let the tool run and it will display what files can be cleaned. Look for Office Setup Files in the results of the scan. If they are there, hurrah! AND be sure to un-check the box. If the files are not there, you may need an Office 2007 installation source.

Thanks JMJSquared-I appreciate your thoughts.

Below are the results and a few questions regarding your suggestions. I'm a little gun shy of pulling any major triggers that may require original disks however. A few questions though are raised and curious about your thoughts.
Thanks again for taking a stab at this popular issue.

1)Per the HP link you referenced, be sure to have returned msconfig to Normal Startup.
(Yes)

2. Via Add/Remove Programs, make sure your Windows Installer is Version 4.5, as here: support.microsoft.com/kb/942288
(No windows installer mentioned in Add/remove programs. I downloaded it but am a little hesitate to run it as I dont have the disks for Office 2007 (or Windows XP for that matter))

3. Do a basic System's File Check (SFC) to attempt repair of any damaged Windows files: Start> All Programs> Accessories and right-click Command Prompt
type sfc /scannow and press Enter . You may require a Windows XP installation disk to replace any damaged or missing files. The utility will let you know.
(Yes, it requests SP3 disks-of which I also do not have. I aborted this.)

3a. Go to Start> Control Panel> Administrative Tools and click Services. Scroll down and set Office Source Engine to Automatic start. Reboot and try Outlook again. If no joy, then:
(This seems like a fairly clever idea. I have found the Office Source engine, but am again, little hesitate to use it. Do you know if it will require original disks?)

4. Try to reinstall Office using the Repair option in Add/Remove Programs.
Note: This will only work if you have not deleted Office's setup files. You can check whether they are still on your hard drive by looking in Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools and clicking Disk Cleanup. Let the tool run and it will display what files can be cleaned. Look for Office Setup Files in the results of the scan. If they are there, hurrah! AND be sure to un-check the box. If the files are not there, you may need an Office 2007 installation source.
(Although I have had office 2007 for years, and have run this clean disk many times, I did find 377 KB of Office temporary files and unclicked it-however, not sure how to access these files.. )

Rest assured, Adventuremuffin, nothing suggested here can cause any harm. So proceed with confidence.

1. If Windows Installer is damaged, then running your newly downloaded Version 4.5 will help. I believe it appears in Add/Remove Programs but double-check me by also looking in Windows Installed Updates. In any event, running the 4.5 installer cannot do any harm.
2. Likewise, changing the start parameters for Office Source Engine (OSE) can do no harm BUT it does solve many Office update/install issues.
3. Finally, trying an Office Repair via Add/Remove Programs can do no harm: It simply will or won't complete, rolling back any changes made should it fail. (Not much hope here though. The 327KB of "temp" files are not what we were hoping for; more like 327MB of "installation" files.)

HOWEVER, even when we get Outlook behaving again, you have a compromised system, as informed by SFC. So, please try the foregoing while I confirm other possibilities for healing your Windows that'won't require installation sources.

Back in a few hours....

Dear JMJ2
Thanks for your assurance.
No harm was done. All 3 ideas tried
sadly, no benefit either. Same Outlook behavior,
I found today that I can get it to run for awhile if I clean registries, fix issues, and disk clean. Yet, when I close it down and start it up, same issues comes back.
Thanks for keeping with this.
cheers
David

You're welcome, David, but at this point I think we're rearranging chairs on the deck of the Titanic. SFC confirmed that the system is compromised and using registry cleaners and non-specific "fixers" definitely makes things worse. That is probably why you were getting 'invalid patch' errors: The info needed by Windows to validate the installer was probably removed by the registry cleaner.

At this point, I think the only real solution is a repair/fresh install of Windows, either of which requires an installation disc and valid key. Even then, Office will not work properly without a separate re-install and valid Office key.

Suggestions:
-- Get an XP installation disc, preferably Sp3 but any will do. Failing that,
-- Scan your system for viruses/malware using your existing AV software and Malwarebytes and then try a l-o-n-gshot and run Microsoft's System Update Readiness Tool: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821 This may fix some of your Windows problems but probably won't help with Outlook/Office.
-- Try a service like "Reimage" which, at $70, costs more than buying Windows XP. It will repair Windows but will NOT repair Office or any other software.

Sorry, but I'm out of ideas.

Keep us informed.

--- JMJ

Back