Windows is gone after factory reset

Travijay

My pc (hp500-277c) was acting funky last night. Wasn't showing I had audio cords plugged in. So since I didn't have much on it, I factory reset it. Come this morning I go to log on and I got a black screen. I've successfully factory reset it 3 times prior to this. I have/had Windows 8.1 on the partition for it. But now it seems my Windows portion of my pc was deleted now. My recovery options from the startup menu will not show up now either. Now when I start it, I get a dialog box saying Windows wasn't installed correctly and to restart with 'Ok. It will loop the same problem when I press ok. I've received top quality help from this site before and was hoping somebody could shed some light on my situation.

When I start my pc into the startup menu, all the sub menus bring me to working Windows. Except the recover menu (F11). It brings me to a blue background page with no texts. It was working correctly but I imagine that somewhere in the reset it got rid of those options. So as far as I know I can't get into safe mode at all right now, nor the command prompt. The boot menu, bios menu, etc. All work.

The exact message it bring up when restarting is "the pc restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows click ok to restart pc and installation".As far as I haven't messed with the partition. Intentionally at least. The only thing my pc will do right now is a restart loop if I turn it on and the startup menu from spamming f8 and esc while turning it on. Although the recover menu on the startup menu is wiped/gone.. I tried hard resetting it without power cord in but to no avail. I just tried again and this time I has pulled up an administrator cmd prompt.

Last edited:
You said that you have a Windows 8.1 system. It failed during a reset. It tried to recover from that and to complete the reset, but failed. While recovery may still be possible from the partition on the HDD, there is a question about the reliability of information on the HDD. A system check may resolve that issue.

Instructions for " HP PCs - Creating and Using a Microsoft Recovery USB Drive (Windows 8) " are provided by HP at https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...ries/5399647/model/6743750/document/c03529751. It sounds to me that you have access to BIOS, so you can configure your system to boot from flash if needed. Windows 8.1 ISO is available from Microsoft if you do not have it on media.

So do I need another pc with 8.1 to make the usb? I'm not very tech savvy but I can follow instructions. I very much appreciate your time you are using to help me. How can I configure it to boot?

Do I just need to download the 8.1 I SO to a flash drive and try the flash in my pc for it to boot? Do I need my product key? As far as I know I can't get the key unless I'm in my control panel system info page, unless there's another way I'm not familiar with.

Do I just need to download the 8.1 I SO to a flash drive and try the flash in my pc for it to boot? Do I need my product key? As far as I know I can't get the key unless I'm in my control panel system info page, unless there's another way I'm not familiar with.
Yes, you need it. License Key Sticker on machine? Manual with system? Else obtain it by running Belarc Advisor if you can get into Windows. Check with HP?

So do I need another pc with 8.1 to make the usb? I'm not very tech savvy but I can follow instructions. I very much appreciate your time you are using to help me. How can I configure it to boot?
Depends on what your system allows you to do. I don't have a clear picture - I believe you said you could reach 'admin prompt', windows, and BIOS
Actual instructions were previously provided in links above (twice).

If this seems difficult for you, then I recommend you find a 'local expert'. Being at the machine allows the tech to really see, hear, feel (like spinning HD) and smell (blown caps smell).

What did the diagnostic reveal?

I see serial numbers and c/t #, bid # , feature bytes#. And hp product # on outside of pc. No product key for Windows that I can tell. Can I get this info from Microsoft with my pc serial mumber? I can get cmd prompt with shift+f10 while the hp logo is there. It's currently 35% on extensive check. I know you sent instructions but I can't determine which set of instructions to follow. Sorry if I'm difficult. Not trying to be.

Last edited:
By the way I cannot reach Windows. Windows not fully booting or being recognized or installed is the problem I am having.

SO, you can reach BIOS setup and Command Prompt. Recovery which was launched cannot for some reason complete. You currently do not have a License key for Windows 8.1. You are running a system check and that will tell us if there are hardware problems.

Please wait until test completes, then try to locate License key. It should be on a sticker (blue and green on white) attached to back or top of system. If you cannot find this, retrieve the materials which came with your system and look for it there. Failing that, it is possible that HP (system builder) may still have it. Microsoft will sell you a new one (there are better alternatives and you may wish to go to Win10). Failing that, read about these methods:
https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easiest...-product-key-from-dead-or-unbootable-windows/

Another Win8.1 system could build a recovery CD which you could use - the other solutions can use Win 7 or 8 or 10. Key is a hardware healthy system and access to BIOS. From the command prompt, you may be able to restore using restrui.exe (see https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-start-system-restore-from-the-command-prompt-2624522 )

Last edited:
Is it safe to try the restore prompt first? I need to retrieve my key from hp themselves. There is not a sticker on my pc with correct info. Would hp or Microsoft be more likely to have the key?

System check passed. I am going to try calling hp for my key. I tried the restore prompt anyway and it says No restore points have been created for this drive. It shows I have system protection turned on. Every now and then it brings me to aa blue restore page because the pc didnt turn off correctly. It shows an error number on the page but the pc turns off after a lol while on the page. So I'm trying to get it to do that again.

Last edited:
I've been wondering if going through the f11 loop several times might lead somewhere. If you were able to complete the 'refresh/restore' . Is that available?

I understand you can get a command prompt ?
If so, you could download this attached zipped up vbs script to a usb drive & enter its location in the command prompt & press the Enter Key to run it.
A picture---

screenshot_11.jpg

I've used the script on 8.1, 8.1 Pro, & Windows 10 Pro & it worked.
It should work for you.
Sorry if it doesn't...

Attachments

• ShowKey v1.3.vbs.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 1
Back