Windows Media Player

Hi please can anyone help me, I have Windows 7 32bit and have trouble downloading Windows Media Player;before I had Windows Vista.I deleted the media player because I was recommended VLC,big mistake because I can't copy my files on to a blank cd;Itunes is a nightmare what with there so called copyright rules even though music is from my purchased cd's.I have tried loads of options but my securits keeps saying untrusted.Very frustrating.

Hi please can anyone help me, I have Windows 7 32bit and have trouble downloading Windows Media Player;before I had Windows Vista.I deleted the media player because I was recommended VLC,big mistake because I can't copy my files on to a blank cd;Itunes is a nightmare what with there so called copyright rules even though music is from my purchased cd's.I have tried loads of options but my securits keeps saying untrusted.Very frustrating.
I don't think Windows Media Player can be removed since it is part of the OS.
You might try this link unless somebody else has a better idea. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-media-player

Do you have the latest update of "WGA", (Windows Genuine Advantage), installed? If it's not in their you won't get optional files

Please get rid of iTunes, and buy your music downloads from Amazon.

I have no problem burning Amazon MP3s to CD. The only "copy protection" Amazon employs, is numbering the files you download, so they can track them if you sell or upload them. You can use them for your personal ends, however

It has to be noted, I use WMP to rip the CDS, (WMA lossless), then I use "ImgBurn", to burn the CDs from either WMA or MP3s with text.

To do the "loss less" thing with VLC, you would need to code with "FLAC".

I've I've interpreted "Learnin's" link properly, you have to download the "media features pack", to re(?)install WMP at this page: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...546&fa43d42b-25b5-4a42-fe9b-1634f450f5ee=True

Last edited:
You can remove Media Player if you go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, Turn Windows Features on or off. You can re-enable media features in the same way. I loathe both iTunes and Windows Media Player.

I have iTunes on my W7 & I have no problem playing my CD's on it & I have more than 50gb's of tunes.

If WMP won't work for you or is damaged in some way, then you could try 'Musicbee'.,
it will burn music tracks and playlists to CD.
The 'burn' option is; Top left of screen, click in 'Musicbee' icon, down the menu to 'Tools' then across to 'Burn disc'.

Would be good to know if this worked out, but it's difficult to answer this problem as I don't know what the OP is using it for. I assume that many people have ipods and are looking for software that will be an 'itunes' type of program.
Some time back I needed to copy a few mp3 and mp4 files onto an ipod nano, for someone else, and the only programs that would 'see' the ipod were Musicbee and Mediamonkey.
Musicbee is the simpler program but will only copy to the ipod, not edit or delete any files on it. In that case Itunes is the answer, but I don't normally have any use for it so it's not installed here.
I have looked at the Windows version of a Linux player , 'Clementine' but same thing again, it couldn't see the ipod. ( But I think it will do, I have a certain library missing that ipods need to use.)
I suggest Musicbee as it's similar to WMP, and does have the 'rip CD' and 'Burn to CD' options that was being asked for.
I assume that the CD is to use in a car player or similar so needs to burn in .cda format.

OK, all you have to do is follow the link "Learnin'" and I provided
I have iTunes on my W7 & I have no problem playing my CD's on it & I have more than 50gb's of tunes.
OK, I have heard, and been involved with threads claiming that iTunes, is practically designed to slow down a Windows PC. That said, I won't have it on my PCs. You of course, can do as you see fit.

Second, WMP works fine. From the standpoint of ripping and filing, it's quite easy to use.

If you need anything burned, "ImgBurn", will burn that anything, and convert from Mp.3 to CDA while it's doing it. So, when you run out of audio files to play with, you can burn Blu-Ray, DVD, ISO images, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Under it's "Tools" menu, all you need do is select, "Create Cue File". You can add CD text during the process of burning the audio CD....from either wma, Mp.3, or a combination of the two. (I'm pretty sure).

Using the links in this thread, WMP could easily be reinstalled.

The reason this thread exists in the first place, is because if you don't want WMP to be your default player, all you have to do is change the configuration, NOT REMOVE IT.

Now, if the TS is having copy protection warnings, it may very well be iTunes not "playing nice" with VLC. Apple corp detests anything "free" or "open source".

As far as "Music Bee" or any other of the sundry music players in existence, I think most of them may have been written as a vehicle for adware, and I personally, leave them alone.

Do agree that Windows Media Player is fairly useful, does most things well enough, but if the user has an ipod, then it makes more sense to use 'itunes'.
I don't own one so I have never installed itunes.
I think what might have happened to the TS is that VLC player has become the default program to handle all the music files on the PC.
All that needs to be done is uninstall VLC plyr, and Windows should go back to WMP as default player for media files.
I try out most 3rd party media players to see how they compare, and there are quite a few that claim to be good substitutes for 'itunes', but when I read the small print, it usually says that you do need to have itunes installed as well (!) and I think it's because of the required libraries for the ipod.

OK, all you have to do is follow the link "Learnin'" and I provided
OK, I have heard, and been involved with threads claiming that iTunes, is practically designed to slow down a Windows PC. That said, I won't have it on my PCs. You of course, can do as you see fit.

Second, WMP works fine. From the standpoint of ripping and filing, it's quite easy to use.

If you need anything burned, "ImgBurn", will burn that anything, and convert from Mp.3 to CDA while it's doing it. So, when you run out of audio files to play with, you can burn Blu-Ray, DVD, ISO images, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Under it's "Tools" menu, all you need do is select, "Create Cue File". You can add CD text during the process of burning the audio CD....from either wma, Mp.3, or a combination of the two. (I'm pretty sure).

Using the links in this thread, WMP could easily be reinstalled.

The reason this thread exists in the first place, is because if you don't want WMP to be your default player, all you have to do is change the configuration, NOT REMOVE IT.

Now, if the TS is having copy protection warnings, it may very well be iTunes not "playing nice" with VLC. Apple corp detests anything "free" or "open source".

As far as "Music Bee" or any other of the sundry music players in existence, I think most of them may have been written as a vehicle for adware, and I personally, leave them alone.
I have VLC on here as well. Oh well. :)

Do agree that Windows Media Player is fairly useful, does most things well enough, but if the user has an ipod, then it makes more sense to use 'itunes'.
OK, here I'm wondering if "iTunes" itself isn't the culprit for the copyright warnings. As in the case of most sociopathic entities, iTunes can create the problem, then step forward and offer to fix it for you. Arguably, Mp3 is a universal codec, so one has to wonder if Apple can screw with it at all. I'm thinking an Mp3 file, should work on any player with an Mp3 file format.
I don't own one so I have never installed itunes.
Good thinking!
I think what might have happened to the TS is that VLC player has become the default program to handle all the music files on the PC

All that needs to be done is uninstall VLC plyr, and Windows should go back to WMP as default player for media files..
I try out most 3rd party media players to see how they compare, and there are quite a few that claim to be good substitutes for 'itunes', but when I read the small print, it usually says that you do need to have itunes installed as well (!) and I think it's because of the required libraries for the ipod.
What you're calling "libraries", I'm gonna call, "DRM", if only to move this discussion forward.
Here I gotta ask, "how noob is noob, exactly? Even if VLC were the default player, you could easily go to "all programs", right click on WMP and select, "run as administrator". Problem solved.
In any case, my normal modus operandi, is to buy CDs, where ever and whenever I can. I don't actually own a portable Mp3 player.

I buy my Mp3 files, (only when there is no other affordable option), direct from Amazon, and download with their software. I have had no trouble with burning Mp3 to CDA with "ImgBurn", and I strongly suggest you give that a try.

As far as aftermarket music players go, I still think it was, (and probably still is), fashionable to write them, to whatever end.

Since I've been told my needs are "atypical", keep in mind I store my music on CDA, and still use multi-disc changers to play them through a free standing home audio system. (The collection is also ripped to multiple HDDs).

As a final note, any old crap full version of "Nero", contains an Mp3 encoder. Called, "LAME", you do have to register for a serial number before you can begin using it.

I believe you can also download the encoder by itself, here at Techspot.That way, you can go the other direction and encode from CD to Mp3.

Last edited:
Back