Windows not detecting Hard drive

Larsenex

[FONT=HelveticaNeue] Ok here is the setting... [/FONT]
[FONT=HelveticaNeue] [/FONT]
[FONT=HelveticaNeue]This is NOT my computer and is my friend Eddy's computer. [/FONT]
[FONT=HelveticaNeue]
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L
  • 4 gigs of DDR 2 Ram (Mem is good, I ran Mem test all morning, no errors)
  • Processor is Intel but I cannot remember the one, its Core 2 duo but not the 8400.
  • New Sata hard drive 500gig, (same as one that was working for past 4 years but new.)
  • His CD Rom is Sony DVD RW, its IDE and is now set to slave via jumper.
  • Windows 7 32 bit home. (I cannot find 64 anywhere, Frys only carries Win 8 right now.)
  • Video card is nvidia and it seems to work fine as I have clean screens and can see bios. I can get details if needed.
I have a thumb drive and I downloaded from Gigabyte the bios update (for this motherboard) but have not done anything with it yet.

Prior to this fiasco, the system would work fine AND it would do what you expect, put CD in drive, windows installs and you are good to go. So what is different now?

Some history, Eddy was told by his Aunt that he had virus one day when they were wiring his home for internet to his room. The AT&T guy was trying to get the software to talk to his I guess (load of crap is my guess). Anyway, Eddy had somebody who lived there install Win 8 on his computer. From what I am told it worked one day and then his computer slowed way way down and eventually just did not do anything. Eddy also said this was a stolen or bootlegged version of Win 8.

Along comes me. My first thought was to simply wipe the HD and restart. Alas when I put the CD in it installed the basics but here is whats is, I get the start up screen without ANY text, nice blue with clouds and the mouse pointer works. No text, after about 5 to 10 min later I get the install screen. I click install and after another 10 min ( I am not kidding on the time), It will come to select drive and there is NO HD!. Ok I did this three times before I went and got a new Hard drive thinking the old one had a nasty virus that did something to it.

Same issue on a completely new drive. This motherboard has a reset to defaults option in bios. I did that, what happens is it tries to boot from drive and I get a drive failure message so I go back into bios and tell it to boot from CD.

This morning after the interminable wait I got to the select drive and Windows said it wants a driver for the drive, uh its not in raid and I have never had this happen before. So I went searching on the Windows disc and it got hung up when I tried to open the CD.

Now I also thought maybe Eddy's actual CD was bad, so I have another clean scratch free copy of Windows (7 32 bit) and it is doing the same thing.

To recap, When I put in the Win CD it boots, I can see bios and then Windows will install its basic files but when I get to the Windows screen I got nothing for ten minutes. Its like the processor is either damaged or there is a stone impeding the flow of data back and forth from the processor and cd, wierd but this problem is beyond me.

If you have any tips to pursue I am all ears and willing to try anything.

Thanks very much!
[/FONT]

Sounds like the MOBO (motherboard) HDD Controller is gone duff (bad) If you want to save some money you could just buy another motherboard. Sometimes it's just best to buy a new system. If you said the HDD is new and you just replaced it. Does the system BIOS see the new HDD? Sounds like it doesn't see it.

Thank you for the response. On boot in the start up bios it shows the HDD and when I go into bios it shows the hard drive. I can assign it a boot priority. What would cause such a slow down on processor power.

Agree with Tipster - motherboard failure very likely. Bios sees the drives ok, but the read/write chip or processor is nearly unserviceable.

Back