Windows Restarts Consistently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I have looked over a bunch of posts about almost the same thing happening and I'm not sure whether my issue will result the same or not. Here it goes anyways.
So a while back my computer started having issues with it restarting while it was running.. Mostly while it was just sitting waiting for someone to use it. After a little while I saw a Kernal Panic. Since then it has been getting progressively worse.

It started off getting worse by only being able to be booted up in safe mode. Didn't matter if it was with or without networking. After trying a few times to restart windows ran a chkdsk and failed. I since had tried a few different things to get it up and running as far as connections and basics(drivers and such). Eventually it ran another chkdsk itself and cleaned ups some things, but still would not boot up normally. I booted into my admin acct in safe mode and ran a msconfig. Restarted with the startup items unselected. It rebooted and and booted up normally into a user account and told me it had fixed an item with the chkdsk and was working. I had it up and running for about 2 hours and it crashed on me again. Since then I was able to get it into safe mode and try different things. Booted to my Ultimate Boot CD and ran a mem test and a HDD test.. Both past short and extended versions of all tests(memory ran over night and tested itself 4 times passed with no errors on any of the tests. So since then, I am now not even able to log into my computer with safe mode. When I boot up in normal it will not even get to the login screen before it restarts which it did for a while even after the Mem and HDD tests.
I am completely stuck.. Did not think it could pass all those tests with it being a hardware issue but is it possible? I am currently working on retrieving a Windows XP PRO install disk. I have a Home disk but I am running Pro currently. Any ideas on what I can do to try and save this or would my last option be trying Repair console/ Reinstall?

Any info or help is much appreciated!

Go ahead and boot into Safe Mode. Once there, do the following:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
  • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
  • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
  • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded.

Another Note: Normally I suggest ignoring Warnings and Information Events. But in you case, you need to see what's happening right before the crash. So check computer time and look for corresponding Errors.

One more note: There are processes and drivers that don't start in Safe Modem so some of the Errors will reflect this- such as DCOM, IPSEC and so on. Those are NOT the Errors you're looking for.

So just an update.. I got it to boot in safe mode somehow last night and ran disk cleanup and defragged.. still no luck. Just figured I'd throw that out there. I am thinking it is something to do with the boot up, corrupt file or something, but I am not sure where or how to find it. Safe mode usually booted all the way til the last driver loads and then would restart as windows loaded. Last night it booted the whole way up. Tried again in regular boot up but still no luck. Anyone with any idea's would be helpful. Like I said I should be able to get a Windows XP Pro disk soon but all I have right now is Home and Ultimate boot CD. Thanks in advance for any input.

Ok, so I just checked my logs, thanks bobbye. I found no errors in the applications log, but I did find a good bit in the System log. Found Dcom of course. But I also found lines of Service Control Manager errors. Not sure, but from what these things say I think its my wireless adapter. Ok so here is the list:
Service Control Manager
1. DHCP client depends on the NetBios over TCPIP which failed because: a device attached is not functioning:(the part about a device is attached to the end of all but the last one)
2. DNS client service depends on the TCPIP protocol which failed...
3. TCPIP NetBIOS helper depends on AFD service which failed...
4. Apple Mobile Device depends on TCPIP Protocol driver which failed...
5. Bonjour service depends on TCPIP Protocol driver which failed...
6. IPSEC services depends on the IPSEC driver which failed...
7. (this is the one thats different) The following boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load:
-AFD -avg7rsW -avg7rsXP -avg7Core -Fips -IpSEC -MRxSmb -NetBIOS
-NetBT -Processor -RaSacd -RdBss -TCPIP

So like I said I believe it is my Linksys wireless adapter connected through USB. But I had unplugged everything from my computer except for keyboard and mouse and it still would not start up. Sorry about not copy pasting, but it won't boot into safe mode with networking either.. Only into Safe Mode. Hope this is of use to you. Really appreciate your time.

All those "Errors" are form times you were in Safe Mode.

Remember- I said it was okay to use Safe Mode to get in and look for the Errors, but not to choose Errors that are from the times you were/are in Safe Mode!

If you can boot into Safe Mode, why can't you copy an Error in the Event Viewer?

See I saw the dcom's but those were the only other errors in there. No other errors anywhere. Can copy the errors just can't post them here without some way to transfer them to this computer. I cannot get into safe mode and still have the internet active. Like I said though the DCOM errors and those errors were the only errors in there. Guess by your response those don't help. Not sure if you have any other idea's or if I am still confused on what you want. Please elaborate and I will try my hardest to do what you need. Need any help I can get at this point.

I am still confused on what you want. Please elaborate and I will try my hardest to do what you need.

I was trying to establish if there was a corresponding Error on both the crash and the restart> AKA a reason for the crash. The Event Viewer is a good source of this information. But some processes just don't start when in Safe Mode. For this:
So a while back my computer started having issues with it restarting while it was running.. Mostly while it was just sitting waiting for someone to use it. After a little while I saw a Kernal Panic. Since then it has been getting progressively worse.
1. "restarting while it was running"
2. "waiting for someone to use it"- do you mean it was 'idle'?
3. "Kernel Panic." (Spelling corrected) From Wiki:
A kernel panic is an action taken by an operating system upon detecting an internal fatal error from which it cannot safely recover; generally designed to output an error message to the consoleThe term is largely specific to Unix and Unix-like systems. The equivalent in Microsoft Windows operating systems is the Blue Screen of Death.

This is very confusing because you're using Windows XP Pro and describing and error found on a different operating system. You did not indicate a BSOD- just 'kernel panic'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back