Windows Server 2003 x64 R2 Event 1003 Category (102) Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last few days my Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 server began crashing for no apparent reason with Event 1003 Category (102). I checked the mindumps but only see "Probably caused by : ntoskrnl.exe ( nt+2c121f )"

I've done some research and have seen info about bad drivers and memory. This server has not had it's drivers updated and the only recents OS updates were IE8 (2 weeks ago) and the malicious sw removal tool so I don't think that's the issue.

I did make a few minor changes to my application (C#.NET Win forms app) but nothing that I believe could cause a system failure. If memory issues are a common problem - what is the best way to to test for this?

I also attached the 2 minidumps to see if they can provide any insight. Thanks for any help you can provide.

- Rob

Both errors are 0x1E:KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
The Windows kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. A Stop 0x1E condition can be caused by invalid memory and access violations similar to those that generate Stop 0xA errors which are either caused by hardware or drivers attempting an IRQ Level that they shouldn't be attempting.

Both dumps cited the driver sptd.sys and is part of your Daemon Tools 4.0 software. We have lost count of how many people are having issues with this software and particularly this driver.

Thanks Route44, that solved the problem. I removed Daemon tools from all 4 of my servers. One observation I wanted to share, when I removed Daemon Tools from the server that was crashing, I was asked to reboot. However, on my other 3 servers, a reboot was not requested. All of my servers have the exact same hardware, OS, and updates installed. I've had Daemon tools on these servers for over a year with no problems but something obviously affected that one server. Again, thanks for the quick reponse.

- Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back