Windows stuck at Verifying DMI Pool Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodie

I've been having problems starting up my computer for weeks - stopping at various black screens with writing saying such and such file is missing. Now it won't boot to the desktop at all. It stops at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" then below that it says "Boot from CD:" and that's it.

I tried using the UBCD, I could load that up fine but when getting into the NTFS4DOS, chkdsk wouldn't run. It was just a blinking cursor after I typed 'yes' for the personal use agreement. I also tried this - http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm because sometimes it came up with "Invalid boot.ini" when trying to boot. So I made the floppy of the above, inserted it at start up and used the first option. It finally progressed to the Windows Logo screen but then I got the dreaded BSOD. The error code was 0x00000024.

The computer is an Acer Veriton 3600GT running Windows XP Home. It didn't come with a Windows installation disk and the comp I'm using now only came with an NEC Windows XP installation CD which says it can only be used with NEC computers otherwise it won't function properly. So is there anything else I can try so it will boot up?

I read somewhere about the i386 folder and being able to reinstall windows with that. I have the folder on my NEC computer - is it possible for me to burn the i386 and use it to reinstall/repair windows on the Acer computer? Or is that only suitable for other NEC computers?

Thanks a bunch for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back