Windows - Toy or Tool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

for every new version of Windows, we always get the old, old arguments reappearing about is it better or worse, a waste of time and money, a transparent blackmail and so on.

I am always puzzled that so few people recognise the true significance of the opposing views which people take, which at heart I believe is simply "to you, is Windows a Toy or a Tool?"

Windows as a Toy
For these people every new issue is a joy. Lots of flashy new screens to look at, old features to search for and find in the new places they have been hidden, sometimes even brand new features to explore. If it runs slower, well that's a disappointment but it will be sorted out. The problems really begin when the new toy simply does not work well enough or for long enough, and play becomes frustrating.

Windows as a Tool
For these people, Windows is something they earn their living with, in some cases critically so, for time is money to them. A new version of an old tool will be welcome if it works better and faster and longer without faults. And if is easier to use, sharper, more efficient, cheaper, and more intuitive so that training oneself and new users is quicker.

But every difference to the old version is a profound problem because it calls for a literal waste of time and money on training to find and adapt to the new features and where the old ones have gone to. The problems really begin for these people when the new tool simply does not work fast enough or well enough for long enough before falling over. A tool that requires you to re-learn almost everything, and takes longer than the old one to do the everyday things is just an abomination.

In this light, one can easily see that Microsoft is almost totally dominated by the 'Windows as Toy' point of view, and if just lip-service is paid to the 'Windows as Tool' objectives, I forsee their eventual downfall. There are obviously appropriate other versions of Windows such as entertainment centre, even X-box, and these can be as fresh as desired (read Toy-like). But the core business product in my view should never be moved forward for necessary improvements in features and security without due respect to continuing familiarity and essential efficiency. That is why I personally think Vista is a failure.

You're right (good post too, very well thought over)

except

Under your "tool" condition, no one would have moved from 98 (you know the real easy stable Windows)

Why we moved (disgruntled ofcourse) is because all the applications and games and you name it, basically moved. We were forced to move !

Just like Vista and 64Bit. Eventually we all must go that way.
Like it or not.

I would never disagree that improvement is an essential, but can I be allowed a wry smile as well ? My company is using 48 PC clients, of which 41 run Win98. As a server, we run a Novell 6.5 box with, as of this moment, uptime of 211 days. Anybody doing as well with Windows 2003 server ?

Oh come on. Install Windows 2000 and quit complaining. Seriously. Run an OS that will run your programs and don't ever change from it, it solves everything you are complaining about.

We have a machine here at work that is still running Windows 3.1 because it is connected to a chromatograph and the software runs on it. We don't have Vista on it because it works fine with 3.1. So if these new versions are such a pain for you to learn, then quit upgrading.

Just like Vista and 64Bit. Eventually we all must go that way.
Like it or not.
No, I would go to a Mac instead!

And that is because of the 'toy' issue:
The problems really begin when the new toy simply does not work well enough or for long enough, and play becomes frustrating.

Windows 32Bit is eventually being phased out by Microsoft
Can't find the news article I read, but it was legit

Therefore my next OS must be 64Bit (but I might wait until Xp runs out fully in a couple of years)

Vista should of been just a 64bit operating system. Then we might of had a reason to upgrade. But I agree Microsoft is going toy as are alot of other software programs. They figure newbies want bells and whistles and won't notice that evrything is slower in the process. Just as my once super loved AVG anti-Virus program. It has gone toy like with the new version and in effect is much slower. Owell time to find the next fast replacement. Who cares what it looks like if it does it fast. R U HEARING ME MICROSOFT??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back