Windows Vista and Netgear RangeMax conflicts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi
Jeff here.
I have a HP Pavillion with Windows Vista and about a week ago I started having problems staying connected with my old Netgear router. Thinking it was a router problem it gave me and excuse to go get the new Netgear RangMax (MIMO). But now I find that it's not the router but something totally differant. I called Netgear they walked me through the set up (hard wired) and it connected later I turned off my notebook and the next morning turned it on and no connection called Netgear again set up again same thing happend called Bellsouth they tried to help no go. Called HP they tried to help again no go. Here's what I get displayed on my laptop on connected to network> connected with limited access. Does anyone know of a problem with Windows Vista and Netgear having a conflict? Or could it be that the wirless card in my notebook has gone bad.Please someone help.

We need your pavilion model as well as the Router. With TCP Window Scaling in Vista, there are some problems at times.

We need to make sure your Router has the latest firmware as well as the latest drivers for the wireless card.

If your router is N and the card is G, you need to disable 802.11x AUthentication, are you using Windows utility (WZC) or the utility that came with your adapter drivers to connect to the router?

correct; get a WIRED connection to the router, login and set G-ONLY mode :)

I'm not a real high tech. person but this I know. First I have a Pavillian dv6000 running Windows Vista and the router is a Netgear RangeMax (mimo). I'm at work so I can't look at the router but I do have the notebook with me. I've not changed anything on the notebook so what ever adapter that came with it is the one I'm using.

There are many DV6000s, need the model from the bottom of the notebook and Netgear RangeMax (mimo) should have a model and revision under it as well, disabling authentication (in the wireless network properties) in case of N router would allow you to transmit using N and have your G devices connect at the same time, sometimes using WZC or an updated utility from your card's manufacturer fixes the issue as well.

Or as jobeard suggests, make your router do only G and see the results.

We still need to see if other settings are OK (idle disconnect for one) wireless signal restrictions and then we have the "vanishing" wireless card in the HP DV6000 and DV9000 series due to Nvidias flaw in design which has been kept hush hush, this only involves AMD based DV6000s and 9000s.

pavilian dv6700
Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi adapter is my network adapter. I don't suppose theres anywhere on my note book that would have the router info is there?

FAQs, Downloads plus more from NETGEAR.

I didn't check but it seems to be draft N even though it says G!

There are 4 different DV6700s but only 2 of them (DV6700ef and DV6700z CTO) have the Atheros

Please make sure the firmware and drivers are up to date (double check to ensure I posted the correct link for your products) and that you have all the latest updates and service packs for Windows as well as the latest BIOS from HP (installs from Windows fine) Do you have the latest HP wireless assistant and other updates from the HP link for your exact model?

Try your connection with the utility from HP as well as Windows once more and let us know.

Are there any other wireless devices connecting to the router with or without any issues?

I have three other pc's in the house that are wireless that use windows xp and they are fine.

I just noticed that on the sevice tag it has dv6917cl does that make a differance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back