Windows Vista keeps rebooting

I have an Acer Aspire desktop computer running Windows Vista. My problem is that every time I start it, I get the message. Windows failed to restart, a recent hardware or software might be the cause. To fix the problem, 1.Insert your Windows installation disk and restart the computer. 2. Choose your language settings then click next. 3 Click repair your computer.

Other options I get are.
1. If the power interrupted during setup, choose start Windows normally.
(Use arrow key to select your choice)

Safe Mode
Safe mode with Networking
Safe mode with commend prompt
Last known good configuration (Advanced)
Start Windows normally

The problem with the first option it gives me is that I don't have a Windows Vista disk.

When I choose one of the other options, like Safe Mode or Start Windows normally, the computer just restarts and goes back to same message. If I do nothing, it restarts every 24 seconds and goes back to the same message.

This problem started when some in my household turned off the computer using the power button, while Windows Vista was updating.

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Try booting up normally and tapping F8 until you see a list of about 10 or so options. See if you have an option at the very top called "Repair your Computer"

If you do, follow the process and run a startup repair and see if this helps. I know with a lot of Acer/HP/Branded machines they include recovery tools/partition on the HDD so you don't need a disc.

A starting point anyway :)

Norbur, unfortunately I tried your suggestion 4 times and had no results. It was a good suggestion none the less.

Thank you.

I’m open to any other suggestions, by anyone.

You need to get your hands on a copy of Vista and then boot the PC with it to get to the Recovery Environment. From there you can run chkdsk /r from the Command Prompt option and that may fix the problem. If that fails you can use System Restore to take it back before the interrupted update.

Back