Windows Vista Toshiba keyboard/trackpad problems

So recently my Windows 7 laptop went all wack and crushed into it's self so i went and pulled out one of my old laptops and booted it up to see if it still worked it is currently a Windows Visa and i plan to change the system soon, anyways i started it up and everything ran smoothly till i got to my login screen and the keyboard/ mouse pad dont work so i decided to plug a USB connect keyboard and mouse in and those dont seem to be working either i havent used this laptop for a good 2 years almost now and im not entirely sure whats going on even when i try to restore it i cant click on restore in order to do so, any suggestions of any sort would be a great help to me either that or im going to have to take it in to be repaired and i just recently replace the hard drive in my laptop that crushed into it's self.. so i wont be exactly thrilled if i have to pay for it to be repaired.

Computer: Toshiba Satellite L350 - Laptop
System: Windows Visa Home Edition

PS: yes i just noticed the spelling mistakes in the title but its an odd computer im currently using so not entirely use to it yet (its a loner from a friend)

Laptop keyboard issues?

Hi, Could be one or more problems here, but for a simple test, if the laptop has more than one USB connector, try each of them, with the extra keyboard, as it's possible the first one you tried isn't working. I have the same problem with an old HP, two out of three don't work.
Try just the keyboard plugged in, not a USB mouse at the same time.
If you get no response from the keyboard in any of the USB sockets, then it's most likely that the Windows software is not 'seeing' the keyboard.
When you first power on the laptop, do you see the white text on black background, such as 'Windows Vista' etc, then it goes to the Vista login screen ?
If your laptop is the type where it has the same Windows on as it had when new, then you may be able to do a 'Factory restore', but if the keyboards won't work, then it won't be so simple.
If it was mine, I would try a Linux CD in the DVD drive, and see if it works using that instead of Windows. That would prove if the hard drive is ok, and if the keyboard works (or not.)
If you don't have Linux CD, and you don't mind spending £5.99, you get them included with magazines such as 'Linux User'. If that does work, then you can save any files, mp3, videos, etc on the hard drive, off to a USB flash stick or external USB hard drive.
(It's not difficult, you just put the Linux disc in the drive and re boot the laptop, it will do the rest. You will end up with a different desktop, but it's not changing or using your Windows Vista at all, it won't damage it.
You may need to change the 'boot sequence' in the BIOS to force the DVD to be first, but it's fairly easy to do.)
If you find the mouse/track pad, and keyboard work, you will know the laptop's hardware is ok, and the fault really is with the Windows Vista software.
Hope that helps.

Back