Windows Vista Ultimate x64 crashing bsod

Status
Not open for further replies.

empirical

Hello,

I hope someone may be able to offer up some advice. I recently put together a new PC with an ASUS m3a78emh motherboard 3 gig of ram , 2 sta HDD, and 2 optical drives.
I ran the MS boot up memtest and there were no problemsfound.
I have gotten consistent yet random enough so I cannot tell what is causing the OS to crash - give me various BSOD messsages and reboot.
I am at a complete loss. I do see the minidump files off c:windows. I can attach these. If anyone has any advice I sure would appreciate it.

I attempted open your minidumps but you zippped them in a folder. I can't open it that way. We only need the files. Please take your most recent five and Zip the files only.

I attempted open your minidumps but you zippped them in a folder. I can't open it that way. We only need the files. Please take your most recent five and Zip the files only.

Route44, I could not pust the individual dmp files as they were all about 265k and this site said attachment too big?

Hello,

I hope someone may be able to offer up some advice. I recently put together a new PC with an ASUS m3a78emh motherboard 3 gig of ram , 2 sta HDD, and 2 optical drives.
I ran the MS boot up memtest and there were no problemsfound.
I have gotten consistent yet random enough so I cannot tell what is causing the OS to crash - give me various BSOD messsages and reboot.
I am at a complete loss. I do see the minidump files off c:windows. I can attach these. If anyone has any advice I sure would appreciate it.

Sorry, I used winzip to zip this time instead of vista .

Frazzled? Computers? You're kidding! ;) Seriously it is okay and I was able to open your Zip file attached to your next to last post.

I have read them and the most significant one is error0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

This is a very strong indicator of corrupted memory (I speak from personal experience) and corrupted memory will cause all kinds of issues. So I suggest the following:

Run memtest on your RAM

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test.

* Let us know of the results.

Frazzled? Computers? You're kidding! ;) Seriously it is okay and I was able to open your Zip file attached to your next to last post.

I have read them and the most significant one is error0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

This is a very strong indicator of corrupted memory (I speak from personal experience) and corrupted memory will cause all kinds of issues. So I suggest the following:

Run memtest on your RAM

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test.

Ok, I am using the windows memtest one. It has 6 tests per pass, is this ok? Also should i test the individual sticks in the individual slots they were in, or just test them all one at a time in slot 1?

I already have an error on the first stick ( 1gb patriot in slot 1) Pass 5(out of 11):
LRAND - add=0d5b0918 expected: 1d9dae04 actual: 1d9dae00

I will update as I go.

Run memtest on your RAM

2. Burn to a CD.

Ok, so I just realized the windows one I am using has an extended test mode that has 11 tests. I am rerunning in this mode. I will update when I am done with all. For now I will test each stick seperate in the slot it was in unless advised otherwise.
Thank you

Memory tests results

I ran the extended tests, which runn 11 tests, with and without cpu cache enabled.
Here are the results:

Stick 1 - Pass 2 ERAND - cache on - 037b0918 --expected:5F452127 Actual:5F452123

Sticks 2/3/4 - No errors found. All tests run for 8 to 9 passes.

Is this a zero tolerance for errors type of thing? Any errors mean stick is bad?
I plan to run without stick 1 and see what happens

Yes, any errors mean that stick of memory is corrupted and cannot be fixed, only replaced.

Well in a way that is great because if it was just a bad meory stick I can buy new memory! Just hope that is what it is. I have been up about 30 minutes without the bad ram and so far so good. I have been running power dvd with a blu ray and variosu other things to try and mak eit crash. I am also running some stability test program tos ee hwhat that tells me.

Thanks for your help Route 44.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back