Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Random Setting Reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zazazoom

Hey all,

I've stumbled upon a rare and strange problem on vista...About 4 days ago I did a windows update as I haven't done one in awhile. Today I noticed that certain settings were set back to default...

Some examples are:

80% of the icons I Pinned to Start Menu are missing.
Customizations of certain settings pertaining to Visuals...are set back to default.
My Itunes no longer has the music inside...the program..but they are still in my external Harddrive...
My Windows Media Player was set to share my files to my Ps3 but is no longer active...in other words I have to reshare everything and set it up again...
The links to my Music and Pictures from my Start Menu no longer link to the correct location... they have been resetted...

Realtek Speaker Icon is suppose to be hidden from the bottom right corner of the taskbar...but is showing now.

Does anyone know why this happened?
Is there anyway to fix this?
Lol I looked in Microsoft support and chatted with their support.. they gave me a link to chat or call to another technician which requires you to pay.... thats lame.

I hope someone can shed some light into this and lead me to the right direction... or if anyone else experienced anything similar please share your stories... Cheers :)

I'm not sure what other things have been resetted...but this is very frustrating as I did many customizations in Vista.. :(

About 4 days ago I did a windows update as I haven't done one in awhile

Was it SP1 ?

If it was, Service Packs can set many things back to default. Normally no, unless there were non Windows system files causing the original setup (which are now fixed)

I'm not even sure if it was sp1...it doesn't say.. unless i'm lookin in the wrong place...
if service packs do set things back to default why isn't there a warning to save your registry or settings or even tell you how to do those things?

how can i check if its sp1?

i'm pretty scared to update now...and i don't even feel like tweaking vista no more...as it will probably be set to default again in the next service pack updates.

this blows :(

heh Event Viewer has alot of information, it's too bad i dont know what im looking for.
this never happened in XP did it? i find it awkward for the updates to reset your settings..
thanks for the tip tho kimsland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back