Windows Vista - Worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJediSlayer

I'm planning to buy Windows Vista so that I can play such games as Halo 2, Gears of War, and Crysis. The thing is, I want to know rather or not Vista is really worth it or not? I only plan to use it for gaming, and before I had no plans really to buy the piece of ****, in my opinion. However, M$ has unfortunately put me into a corner, and now I must decide rather or not to buy it just to play some good titled games out there.

Anyways, I plan to buy this version of Windows Vista: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116204

Should I go for it for the games, or screw it?

You say you are planning to get vista to play games such as Halo 2, Gears of War and Crysis but you do not need Vista to play them. Windows XP will play them fine and will be slightly faster than Vista.

Your post makes me think that you think Vista will 'Speed-Up' your PC? If so, this is not the case... Infact quite the opposite.

To play them games you will require a decent graphics card and CPU along with a decent amount of RAM (1gb min).

Vista is not worth the jump, maybe in a years time but not now.

If you were to ignore my opinion that version of Vista is a 64bit edition. You will need a 64bit processor.

I'm planning on getting a computer that can run Windows Vista 64bit and a good GFX card. However, as far as I know, these games that I've mentioned are all mostly compatible for Vista only, and not XP.

While Halo 2 is Vista only, Gears of War and Crysis will run on XP. XP is listed on their minimum system requirements. Although I don't have Gears of War, I've played through Crysis on my XP Home PC several times. IMO, you can build a new PC with Vista if you want but I wouldn't do it just for Halo 2.

VISTA is worth it, but sometimes not worth the trouble.

It requires a lot more memory. It presents great difficulties with some driver downloads.

Before you buy or install, go to your website for the computer brand and model, or motherboard brand and model, and check to assure that all the drivers you need are available for VISTA.... BIOS, Chipset, Audio, Video Graphics card or port, and other things important to you. Nero and many other programs will also need updates.
If the memory is adequate (1 GB or preferably greater) and all the drivers are available, you will find no big problems... but perhaps some little ones as you change over.

Hi TheJediSlayer,

Personally I could careless about Windows Vista, I bought the ultimate version and I got a few blue screens the first week, Fixed them and then it's saying that svchost.exe is a program that is bugging the windows software. Why should something that handles processes executed from DLLs be doing that? I now am on Windows XP, I heard rumors about Microsoft allowing Vista users to downgrade (to XP) , but I'm not positive yet. I say stick with XP, but it's personally up to you.

I've personally been against Vista from the beginning, I only toyed with the idea of buying it so I could play new games out for Vista only. But seeing as how most of the games I want to play are also compatible for XP, I could care less for Vista now. One less shitty *** software I have to deal with.

Halo 2 there is the only one that 'requires' vista. But even then it has been cracked to work on XP!

All of the Vista only games so far have been cracked to work on Xp im pretty sure.
And anything you run under Vista will be slower than if it was run under XP.

Even the 'Very High' settings for crysis which are meant to be DX10(Vista) only, but even these can be run under XP!

Basically there is no point moving to Vista for gaming IMO.

Like everyone else says Vista won't really benefit you at all. Many games still perform better under XP. The few titles that are Vista only are just ploys to get you to upgrade to Vista. I find it hilarious how Halo 2 is Vista only.. meanwhile its a DX9 game and the game looks like complete crap. By now cracks have already been made to enable those games to run under XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back