Windows will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Please help, Ive just built a system for my gf's dad/sis not tht it matters. anyways it was the first time i have used a sata HDD and had some troble installing it (solved by a nicked floppy drive from work). But noticed tht the system would not boot some times, it got to the blinking cursor screen before windows boots. this was solved by resetting the system, not ideal i know.

They have now had the system for about 1 month and i have been told it is not booting at all, its getting to the same stage (gf's dad not happy and is a scary man). I am going there this weekend to (fingers crossed) fix it but if anyone know what caused the issue would love a few pointers. PLEASE PLEASE.

i have two IDE HHD tht i was thinking about putting in the system to see if it is the sata HDD. the only other things i can think of is to reinstall the sata Drivers or reset/ update the bios.

It does sound like a Hard Drive or cabling issue; or even Ram.

But strangely it could even be the power supply or even any USB devices attached to the computer.

It's a bit sketchy at this point.

Although I don't exactly like the bios update issue, I think a better option would be to load cmos defaults, in the setup screen.

I'd suggest to get it working really quickly, you get to Safe Mode (if the F8 screen comes up) and go to Windows. Then right click on C drive (in My Computer), Properties->Tools->Check Now->Automatically Fix->Start->Yes->Restart
(Probably even practice this at home first).

Hopefully Normal mode suddenly appears (once Check Disk finishes)
Then you'll be the hero !

Using any Windows Xp CD
Boot from the CD
Go to the first R Prompt
Log into the Administrator account (1 then enter <- exactly like that. 1 key then enter)

When in the Recovery console (you know the DOS screen!)

Type CHKDSK *: /R (or if that doesn't work CHKDSK *: /F)

Allow CheckDisk to check and repair any problems with the disk, then restart (to Safe Mode)

actuall kimsland has given u the most that could be a problem. if u reread his post he said it could be the mem. or even be the psu, or a USB device that is attached to the computer. all of this is possible but I would think the mem. would be quick to check.

the cursor screen u mean is blue screen??

if yes most likely is ram problem

anyway thank to kimsland who help me b4 he is a very pro guys u see

Don't forget after you change out the RAM also make sure you have the most current chipset drivers for your MOBO (motherboard)

Ok guys I check out the RAM, Just thinking if it is a issue with the RAM would it be a compatibility issue or just fault RAM.
And it not coming up with the blue (error) screen, it just not booting windows.

Just thinking if it is a issue with the RAM would it be a compatibility issue or just fault RAM
If it is the Ram, then it would be faulty Ram (as incompatible Ram would have never worked)

Also thanks for the kind words from others.
I'm presently doing a forestry job (totally opposite to technology here) and I get told off every day on how stupid I am (they mean ignorant, but that's just their ignorance!) Anyway just making ends meet, as TechSpot is voluntary.

agree fully with kimsland..........XD

i now trying help in giving comment as well as i could, when the time i help i also read others comment and i learn from there as well....

now i jus a newbie in IT(T.T one year more grap my IT diploma cert )

techspot is a good web site for IT ppl wow ">"

hi, Just to let you know my girlfriend call me from home yesterday, and i got her to boot the computer in safe mode and it still would not boot, and before when i said it got to the blinking cursor before window boots. that was a porkie, she now tells me that it gets to the window load screen. Don't know if this makes any differance? I also try resetting the bios but no luck.

oh and im going there tomorrow so If I dont post anything that means I haven't been able to get it working and will be lying dead in a gutter somewhere!!! lol

lol

You may need to work on it at your home (they won't understand what you're doing on the floor - so don't even start)

I survived, all sorted just reinstalled the os luckly when i built it i partitioned it so she didn't lose any of the music etc.and its working better than eva.

Thanks guys.

p.s also moved all the files from her old HDD to the new one which eared me extra brownie points

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back