Windows will not start

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Windows XP tries to load, I get the following message: "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this." My options are:

Start in safe mode.
Safe mode with networking.
Safe mode with command prompt.
Last known good configuration setting (most recent setting that worked).
Start Windows normally.

I can't start with any of them.
My dvd/rw drive stopped working a few months ago so i cnt use an XP installation software CD, will it work if i buy an external cdrw drive or am i completely screwed?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
P.S. Im completely clueless when it comes to operating systems

You are screwed until you upgrade your equipment. A good DVD RW drive is available for as low as $19 to $29 at many online stores. Or a CD RW used can be found for $5 to $12 in most locations.
I suspect you need to replace your hard drive. That is another $40 to $140 depending on size and whether EIDE or SATA.
An external CDRW drive will work if your board BIOS and system support external boots, but in that case, the internal drive purchase is a much smarter option. Skip three meals or a sixpack and buy one.

Thank you for your help. I went to the computer store today and the salesman told me my hard drive was f****d, he told me it would cost £150 for a new 100gb hard drive and for him to load a new system on the hard drive.
Does this sound like a good price? or can i do it myself?
Thank you

In US dollars, you can get a hard drive: 80 GB for $40. 160 GB for $60 250 GB for $80 500 GB for $99, 1 TB for $109 or less.

So buy one online and install everything your self.. You will learn a lot and have a good, but occasionally frustrating time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back